all http URL tests fail...

General chat about HostMonitor (all messages posted before March 07, 2003 available here).

Post by Guest »

HI
I go about 20 profiles which 10 of them are URL and rest are ping or UNC...
anyway... I noticed that randomly (sometimes after a day of working, sometimes after few hours) all HTTP tests fail with "no reply", BUT after restarting service (I use HM as a service) - everything's back to normal. And while fail - there is all right with the pages when checking with browser. I have no idea what's causing it :sad:
Maybe you could add some debug logging feature to HM ? It would help a lot.

HM sits on WinXP pro - (up to date with patches)
URL are taken from w2k server (up to date)

greetings
Martin
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

I think reason to this problem some bug in wininet.dll (e.g. resource leakage). Now HostMonitor uses wininet.dll (part of Internet Explorer) to perform URL tests. It works correctly on 99% of systems but has problems on some systems. Soon will be implemented new HTTP test that will work independently of IE.

Regards
Alex

Post by Guest »

Thanx for your answer. I'm running HM on WinXPPro, but today I'll set it up on Win2KPro to see if there's the same situation. I'll drop a message here on how it goes :smile:
Madman

Post by Madman »

(above post is mine, I've just registered)

I've check it and under W2K is the same problemm :sad: But I've noticed another thing, that maybe it depends on number of URL tests. I got now 39 url tests (scheduled to test every 1 minute) and it fails (like described in first post) but I've deleted most of them (it's 5 now) and now all seems to be working ok... maybe this will give a clue ?
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

It must work correctly with thousands of tests. What exactly version of IE on both systems?

Regards
Alex
Madman

Post by Madman »

on XP there is:
6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920 (that's a long one :smile:
and on w2k is:
Madman

Post by Madman »

KS-Soft:
Is there any way I could send you some info which you could use to locate the problem ? Some debug info ? I tried /debug on program start, but the only thing I get is this:

Filename: D:Program FilesHostMonitor3HHDebug.txt
Date: 12.11.2002 09:23:32
SysLocale.DefaultLCID: 0x0407
SysLocale.PriLangID: 0x0007
SysLocale.SubLangID: 0x0001
DecimalSeparator: ,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EXE Path = D:Program FilesHostMonitor3HOSTMON.EXE
_RunDir = D:Program FilesHostMonitor3
_ModuleName = HOSTMON.EXE
_ModuleDir = D:Program FilesHostMonitor3
_hhInstalled = YES
_hhVerStr = 5.2.3669.0
_hhFriendlyVerStr = > 1.31
_ieInstalled = YES
_ieVerStr = 6.0.2800.1106
_ieFriendlyVerStr = > Internet Explorer 5.5 Developer Preview
===============================================================================

The situation hasn't changed and I still got problem with url tests. Even on 'clean' installation of w2k server. Tests are working, and suddenly after some period of time these all going down (when I check in browser, the links are ok.) After stopping/starting HM service all tests are alive again. Any advice ?
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Please wait a little. In HM version 3.48 or 3.50 will be included HTTP test that will work independently of IE, in this way we will avoid any MS bugs. I think this version will be available in the end of November.

Regards
Alex