KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Create a new server, based on a template

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbird

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Create a new server, based on a template Reply with quote

Is it possible to create at template for a server.

So that I can I only need to add the server name, and then I it would automatically setup the following.
Ping, CPU usage, remaining disk, some service (McAfees service), memory usage and some other..

Or Im I FORCED to setup everysingle item each time I add a server... Planning on monitoring around 150 servers, where about 80 or more shall have the same monitoring..
timn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of approaches.

First, take a look at what KS-Soft's Replicator can do for you - depending upon your situation, this may be the fastest way to do what you need.

Sometimes though, your needs may exceed what Replicator was designed to do - In that case, a simple text editor is your best friend. For example, here's what we do at our site.

We have a farm of 60 identical servers that we want to monitor - same set of (29) tests for each server. We get the 29 tests for one server set up the way we want then export this folder to a text file (File | Export To Text File)

We then simply use a text editor (we prefer Ultra Edit) to duplicate the set of tests 59 more times and then edit the machine-specific stuff for each test (IP address, RMA, Message Comments, etc).

When finished editing the text file, we simply re-import (File | Import From Text File).

Both of these methods are much faster that entering all tests individually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: