KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Raid test, maybe WMI lookup?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Raid test, maybe WMI lookup? Reply with quote

Hi

I want to check my Proliant Hardware RAID 5. I dont want to use SNMP. Can WMI lookup be used?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly means "check"? What exactly parameters do you want to check?
E.g.
- Free Space can be checked by UNC test method.
- Some basic disk parameters can be checked by standard Windows WMI classes.
- if you want to get some technical information from this controller, check the manual that comes with your device.
As I know if you install "HP Insight Management WBEM Providers", you will get WMI namespace for your HM devices.

Quote:
I dont want to use SNMP

May I ask why?
Usually SNMP works faster and uses much less system resources than WMI

Regards
Alex
fve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I dont want SNMP because it may be configured on all the servers 500+. I want HM to make all the test, therefore a WMI lookup will be easy if it can get the the RAID broken information. I will make a small script to handle the WMI.
I only want to check is the RAID 1 or 5 is consistent, if one disk fail the WMI maybe have the information?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I dont want SNMP because it may be configured on all the servers 500+. I want HM to make all the test, therefore a WMI lookup will be easy if it can get the the RAID broken information. I will make a small script to handle the WMI

Not sure I understand. You want to create your own script that will check 500 systems (single test item for 500 hosts)?

Quote:
I only want to check is the RAID 1 or 5 is consistent, if one disk fail the WMI maybe have the information?

Probably.
We do not have such hardware so I cannot tell you for sure
Why don't you ask HP support team?

Regards
Alex
jivetolkein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should reconsider not using SNMP.

The HP agents that are required to show RAID health (including via WMI as far as I know) require that you install SNMP (it's a pre req in the PSP install).

Once in place it's trivial - check SNMP for OID

.. anything other than a 2 is a problem. Check the MIB if you want to get fancy with it, but for our 1200+ servers we use this as a pointer to check Insight Manager for logs, additional info etc. - it's just a good first alarm for the Ops. If you want to get fancy, you can get the other staus codes from the MIB.

You only need a read only community defined. You can restrict lookup for snmp from only the localhost and the server performing the tes (RMA or Host Monitor server) - I don't see any big security risk in this config, and SNMP is straightforward to add to most OS.
oakyuz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is hard or time-consuming for you to enable or configure SNMP for all your servers, the freeware tool, SNMP Enabler, may be useful for you :

http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/snmp-enabler-for-windows/enable-snmp.aspx
xcentric

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it is hard or time-consuming for you to enable or configure SNMP for all your servers, the freeware tool, SNMP Enabler, may be useful for you :

Dude! You rock! Thank you for sharing.

And when your finished enabling all your devices you can use this free snmp scanning tool to verify them all. It operates as a single exe. Perfect for the toolbox.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/snscan.aspx

Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: