KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

advanced condition to start AND action depends on bad one

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: advanced condition to start AND action depends on bad one Reply with quote

upgraded to 4.07 from using 3.xx - it is a whole lot better thanks guys.

in actions:

One thing I had wanted in 3.xx was a way to stop from getting a "GOOD" status page when I test first comes into schedule for that day and it is good (read as I want to sleep past 1am on days following bad days) I believe I can do this with the following "advanced condition"

'%LastStatus%'<>'OutOfSchedule'

but when I select "advaced condition" the "action depends on bad one" option gets greyed out. is there a way around this, or a way to add it to the advanced condition? If there is I must be missing it.

thanks
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>One thing I had wanted in 3.xx was a way to stop from getting a "GOOD" status page when I test first comes into schedule for that day and it is good

H'm, may be I misunderstand something but... If you do not use "Repeat: until status changes" option of the action, HostMonitor will not start that action when test status changes from "OutOfSchedule" to "good" (and it was "good" before that schedule limit). In other words HostMonitor does not consider "good"->"OutOfSchedule"->"good" or "bad"->"OutOfSchedule"->"Bad" sequences as status change.
If you use "Repeat: until status changes" option of the action, HostMonitor will start action ("good" or "bad") every time test performed.

>but when I select "advaced condition" the "action depends on bad one" option gets greyed out.

Yes, its limitation by design. Probably will be improved in future versions

Regards
Alex
dsi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
>
H'm, may be I misunderstand something but... If you do not use "Repeat: until status changes" option of the action, HostMonitor will not start that action when test status changes from "OutOfSchedule" to "good" (and it was "good" before that schedule limit).

right... I was not clear, the thing I run into is that the test was bad from 1am to 7am one day, it goes out of schedule with a "Bad" result. The next day when the test comes into schedule it is good, and I get a page telling me it is good. it is really confusing for the people that rotate on-call duties - they often think they have missed a page. I know I could disable the "Good" messages, but they are useful in most situations.

is there a way to write the "depends on bad one" logic into the advanced criteria or some other solution that I am missing?

not complaining if it is impossible, but it would not be the first time I missed how to do something in product documentation.

thanks
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now I understand what do you need. But I don't see how it can be configured in current version of HostMonitor.
I think we can implement new macro variable in future versions, some %PreviousStatus% that will take any status including OutOfSchedule. Expression to start action will look like ('%Status'=='Host is alive') and ('%PreviousStatus%'=='No answer')

Regards
Alex
dsi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aah - it does not work the way i thought it did in this version

thanks for keeping me from spending time trying to fix it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: