KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Trouble getting the MS SQL test to work

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooltown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

I have installed Client Connectivity and Client Tools, so I can from Enterprise Manager reach my MS SQL server, but it doesn't work, I just get No Answer, with SQL userid and password, any ideas of what to do !

/Sven
simonl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you use when specify MS SQL server, name or ip address?. Go to client network utility from sql server program folder and create server alias as server name and server name as ip address. From Hostmonitor test method put MS Sql server ip address instead of server name.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Wooltown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tip, but it didn't help

In client network utility I have tried to enter alias as SERVERNAME and \SERVERNAME but with no success, I get No answer all the time. I have entered IP-address with or without \, it's realy strange.

From SQL Query analyzer it works with any computername as alias, I tested to enter MONKEY as alias in client network Utility and then I connected to MONKEY from Query Analyzer and succeeded.

Any more ideas ?

simonl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not provide what you try to check.
If it's MS SQL Server databases, service or process. If you try to check database select ip address for SQL Server, try "Master" database, sql server user name and password(for example "sa"). For other you have to provide domain/user with administrative rights to check SQL Server is running or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
robweb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try turn on the checkbox 'Revert Alert'. This did it for me concerning Sybase Servers (which' basic connection setup is the same as for MS SQL Servers)

-Rob
robweb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, forget what I said. this is probably not it. (I tested some more and shutdown my Sybase Server, but HM still mentions status = 'OK' for this connection...). Revert alert probably means 'Say OK when it fails and say 'no answer' when it succeeds or something...'

Sorry,
Rob
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are right. There are information about "Reverse alert" option: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/news.htm#RevAlert

Regards
Alex
Wooltown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

I am trying to connect to the SQL server to test if a database in answering, I am trying to test if I can log in to the master database.
From The Query Analyzer on the same machine, it works just fine, but not from Host Monitor.
I have entered all the information you gave me previously in this case regarding the "Client Network Utility", but the situation is still "No Answer".

/Sven
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets check, does HostMonitor load ntwdblib.dll or does not. Please, open Test Properties dialog for this test. If you will see yellow box with error message on bottom of the dialog, it means HostMonitor cannot load library.
BTW: what version of client do you use?

Regards
Alex
Wooltown

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello !

No A Yellow box is not visible !

I am using SQL 2000 client trying to test both SQL 7 and SQL 2000 servers but none of the tests work

/Sven
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uploaded small program for testing purpose: http://www.ks-soft.net/download/mssqltest.exe It is console application, it has 4 command line parameters: Server Database UserName [Password]. mssqltest.exe uses the same code that uses HostMonitor but it displays diagnostic messages. Hope it will help to resolve problem.

Regards
Alex
Wooltown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex !

Yesterday I upgraded to version 3.16, and now it works, I don't know why, but it works great !

Perhaps some file was outdated, thank you very much for all your help !

/Sven

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: