modem issues

General chat about HostMonitor (all messages posted before March 07, 2003 available here).
stladmin

Post by stladmin »

i have hostmonitor set up to send numeric pages via a modem whenever one of 3 tests fail. however, i notice that if these tests fail at around the same time, then too many attempts are made to send the page; instead of 6 pages, i end up with around 13 windows saying something like "attempt failed, next attempt will be in 15 seconds..." does anyone know how to fix this?
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

>modem whenever one of 3 tests fail
>instead of 6 pages, i end up with around 13 windows

If you have 3 tests, why HM should send 6 pages? Anyway 13 windows its not normal. What "Repeat" value of the action do you use? "1 time" or "until status changes"? What HostMonitor do you use?

Regards
Alex
stladmin

Post by stladmin »

we figured the problem out. it was because of a mix of issues: hostmonitor sent commands to the modem faster than the modem could dial, and the repeat was set to "untill status changes." oops. changing the repeat to 1 fixed the problem. now instead of getting an overload cycle of pages waiting to be sent, we get pages that only have to wait a little wile. p.s. 6 pages for 3 tests: more than one admin :wink:. thanks for the help