KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Client certificates - v12.98 & W2019 server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david.matthewson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Client certificates - v12.98 & W2019 server Reply with quote

Hi Alex

I'm having problems getting client certs to work so I can check a server site protected by client certs..

I've imported the cert into the local machine store/personal of the server running HM and edited the hostmon.ini file to match. But when I use the pulldown to select the cert I don't see it but do see other ones.

Using mmc.exe I can see the cc in the machine 'persona' store. Is this the correct location? Does the cert import need to be in any particular format?

Thanks

David
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HostMonitor started as application? service?
I assume question relates to URL test method?
Why you modified hostmon.ini file? What exactly parameter changed?

Regards
Alex
david.matthewson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex

Thanks for the prompt reply.

1) HM started as a service under LocalSystem

2) sorry, yes, this is the 'advanced' mode of the url test.

3) hostmon.ini - as per this thread - https://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6074&highlight=certificates

"Also, if you installed certificate into local computer certificate store, then you should add the UseLocalCertStore=1 line into [Misc] section of the hostmon.ini file and restart HostMonitor.
Or may be you already using this option while certificate is installed in user's certificate store? Then you should remove this line from hostmon.ini file or replace it with UseLocalCertStore=0"

This parameter does indeed change if I see or do not see any certs - I have installed the certs under local machine not user.

Many thanks

David
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you need this option in this case but usually its not a good idea to run HostMonitor service under Local System account - HostMonitor will not be able to check remote Windows systems using CPU Usage, Process, Service, Registry, NT Event Log tests, etc.
Normally you should provide local or domain account using Windows Services applet. In this case you install certificate for the same user account and you don't need to modify hostmon.ini file.

Quote:
This parameter does indeed change if I see or do not see any certs - I have installed the certs under local machine not user.

We cannot reproduce the problem.
May be you did not restart HostMonitor service after hostmon.ini modification?

Regards
Alex
david.matthewson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex - much appreciated. I'll dig a bit more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: