KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

best practise for logging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoschmanIT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: best practise for logging Reply with quote

Hi all,

Since HM has several option for logging, I was wondering what an average best practice would be? I can of course log all outputs to the database, but Is that necessary to do or is that only for my own data collection?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Jeffrey
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, we don't know your needs so we cannot provide recommendations.

Quote:
Is that necessary to do or is that only for my own data collection?

HostMonitor may work without any log files but of course its better to use some logging, at least "Brief" mode so HostMonitor will add record when test status changes.
If you plan to use Log Analyzer with filters, I would suggest Brief+Midnight logging mode.
If you need detailed information regarding performance of your servers, use "Reply" of "Full" logging mode.

You may set "Brief" logging mode for most of test (Options dialog) while set "Full" mode for some servers/tests (using Test Properties dialog).
You may set Private log files for some tests, and so on..

If you will use some applications/scripts, then you may use Text , DBF or ODBC logging.
If you will check logs manually, you may set HTML format.

If you have a lot of tests and plan to use Full or Reply logging mode, I would suggest to rotate log files every week. If you set HostMonitor to record less data, you may rotate log files every month or once per year.

Everything is up to you.

PS
If you decide to use ODBC logging. please do not use Oracle for logging. They often make a lot of bugs in client software (ODBC drivers).

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: