KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Synology Health test reports Hot Spare drive not initialized

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hd@miralix.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:19 am    Post subject: Synology Health test reports Hot Spare drive not initialized Reply with quote

Hi. I've got 3 Synology NAS and all 3 are monitored by the Synology Health test . All 3 was working as expected until I upgraded the DSM on the first Synology NAS to DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update. The test reports that one drive is not initialized and it is the drive designated as Hot Spare for the RAID set. I then tried upgrading the second NAS to DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 5 and which resulted in its Hot Spare disk being shown as Not Initialized by the Synology Health test. I have not upgraded the third NAS yet but expect it will behave the same way. I am running Hostmonitor version 11.97 but can't find any information in the news that it is a known but that is fixed in later versions.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume "Check for not initialized disks, RAID repairing, migrating, canceling" option is selected?
You may disable it

Regards
Alex
hd@miralix.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

Yes, both settings is enabled on all 3 Synology Health tests:
Check fans, power supply, disks, RAID status
Check for not initialized disks, RAID repairing, migrating, canceling

The tests have not changed during or after the DSM upgrade.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand this.
But if you have not initialized disk then you may disable option and you will not get alerts.

Regards
Alex
hd@miralix.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the disks are initialized in the Synology NAS. The Synology admin web interface informs me of this. The disks that your Synology Health test reports as not initialized is the hot spare disks. These hot spare disks are initialized the same way before the DSM upgrade and no changes to the RAID has been made. My guess is that Synology has made changes, perhaps even a error, that affects the way Hostmonitor reports. The hot spare disks is initialized and their status is normal just like all the other disks in the RAID volume.

I acknowledge that it would be logical to contact Synology and report that their DSM has an error since the only change made in 2 instances is upgraded DSM's but having to report that a third party systemet (Hostmonitor) displays that an initialized disk in not initialized is something I think they won't address. My honest guess is that they will point me in the direction of you. It seems like a general problem and I find it strange that no one else apparently experiences this but perhaps these tests are not used very frequently or perhaps people just don't update their DSM's.

Do you have the possibility to test this in a lab or do you perhaps have an official partnership with Synology and contact with developers that you can contact and ask if they have changed something?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, we do not have contacts with Synology and we cannot reproduce the problem so far.
Yes, they must changed something. If you provide SNMP access to the device, we can check..

Same question again, can you disable "Check for not initialized disks, RAID repairing, migrating, canceling" option? Just to be sure..

Regards
Alex
hd@miralix.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Alex.

The test reports as expected if I disable "Check for not initialized disks, RAID repairing, migrating, canceling" option.

Do you want SNMP access to the Synology NAS device or to Hostmonitor? Can you please let me know how to limit access to only you perhaps by limiting connections from your public IP range? Can I also supply you with SNMP information outside of this post, perhaps by mail or otherwise?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNMP access to the device.
Of course please use e-mail, public forum is not secure, about 5% of customers use forum. Others use e-mail to get help from us.

BTW: I think your support term expired in June 2019.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Bug reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: