KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Credentials Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
argis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Credentials Problem Reply with quote

I have a remote agent on a network with two subnets. Each subnet has different credentials, and each has a large number of devices.
I can supply default credentials to the agent for one subnet using Connection Manager, but I don't see an easy way to supply credentials for the other subnet.
It's not practical to manually create entries in Connection Manager for nearly 100 devices. Is it possible to script this (an ugly solution even if it is possible) or is there another method that I've missed?
Or is the only solution to install another remote agent on the second subnet?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#profiles.htm#conmgr

You may provide "default" account that will be used by HostMonitor for every resource not included in the list. To do so, type * as resource name. Then you may provide name of the server/domain or type * instead of server name. In 1st case HostMonitor will send authentication information to the specified server; in 2nd case (unc=* and sever=*) HostMonitor will connect to the server that was specified as test parameter.

In addition to default and host-specific accounts, you may specify accounts based on IP address ranges (e.g. you may specify one user account for 10.10.1.5-10.10.1.55 range, another account for 10.10.1.200-10.10.1.235 range)

Regards
Alex
argis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! Thanks Alex.
argis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've discovered that this doesn't work for custom VBScripts using WMI, and also for Perfcounter tests (which I'm guessing also use WMI).
I should clarify here that the two subnets are also on different domains.
These tests work when run on PCs in the same subnet as the remote agent, but not on the other subnet.
All the other tests - disk space, CPU, RAM, top process - run fine on the other subnet with the credentials supplied in Connection Manager. I'm using a domain admin account for testing.

The WMI scripts do work however when I add the same credentials into the WMI query itself. It seems that running the script as a user is not the same as putting the user credentials into the actual WMI query.
I don't really want to do it this way though, it's bad security and I would need separate copies of each script for each site where this will be required.

I can't think of a tidy way around this problem, does anyone have any suggestions?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I've discovered that this doesn't work for custom VBScripts using WMI, and also for Perfcounter tests (which I'm guessing also use WMI).

Performance Counter test does not use WMI calls.
Regarding custom scripts with WMI calls - you have to make authentication in your script. HostMonitor cannot do this for you because script executed as separate process (HostMonitor does not process script commands, just starts external process).

Quote:
I should clarify here that the two subnets are also on different domains.
These tests work when run on PCs in the same subnet as the remote agent, but not on the other subnet.

We created RMA agents in order to avoid such problems, normally you install 1 RMA in each LAN/domain.

Quote:
The WMI scripts do work however when I add the same credentials into the WMI query itself. It seems that running the script as a user is not the same as putting the user credentials into the actual WMI query.

Yes, I think we cannot do anything in this case, that's how Windows suppose to work.

Regards
Alex
argis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex, I thought that would be the answer. They don't want to give me another server to put the RMA on, but now I'll have to put my foot down!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: