KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

RMA: Cannot read data error [SOLVED]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: RMA: Cannot read data error [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Configuration:
Hostmonitor running at HQ site, on Windows 2012R2 dedicated server, version 11.74, from IP 192.168.13.242
Nearly all of our tests run from Hostmonitor directly - we only have two sets that run via RMA.

Site #2 uses the class A network 10.0.0.0/16
Site #3 uses 192.168.8.0/24, 192.168.10.0/24 and 192.168.100.0/24

Site #2 has some industrial machinery with no gateway address set, so I set up a passive RMA on the active directory / file server (10.0.0.1) there.
The RMA is named 10.0.0.1, is on port 1055 and has a 10 second timeout, and a nice password, with no backup agent. This lets us run the ping test against the 4 machines nicely. This is all working fine, and lets me know the RMA process is ok.

I'm just setting up Site #3, on an isolated machine 192.168.100.10 - not domain joined. I can ping it, but not run any tests against it.
So, I installed the Agent, set it to run in passive mode, and changed the port to 1056, and set up a new connector on my main server

The agent reports a connection via passive RMA to Site #3, with version 6.54 of the Agent, picks up the comment field I entered and reports that the server is a Windows 2003 R2 Build 3790 machine.
As well as the ping test to the host name from the main server, I also set up a 2nd ping test to 127.0.0.1 run via the agent - this is reporting "Host is Alive", so getting good data.

But, when I enable the other tests, all of which are also set to use the agent 192.168.100.10, I get "RMA: Cannot read data" as a response.

I have three tests for free space on C with differing thresholds, a service check for SQL and SQL agent and VSS, and a CPU check. All report the same issue.

So, I have a good connection from the Passive RMA agent running as a service from the remote system to the main Hostmon server, accurately reporting the pings both remotely and locally, but not supplying any other data.

I went back to the remote agent and unchecked "ping test". Going back to Hostmon, when I refreshed the test I got the error message "RMA 600 - operation is not allowed" so that seems to be working correctly, and is paying attention to the preferences set.

I enabled ping tests, and then disabled the drive space checks, and now the first one of the disk space checks also reports RMA 600 error - so that appears to be working too. Resetting this changes from RMA 600 back to RMA: Cannot read data.

This looks more like an issue with Windows perhaps not reporting back to the agent correctly, but I'm not sure what call is being made to the system. Unfortunately I can't just do a reboot on this system as it's in live use with external clients.

Can you suggest any items to check or tests to run please?

Last edited by Kren on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like RMA does get response from Windows within 10 sec timeout. Normally 10 sec is enough but may be your system too busy or out of resources?
May be some antivirus monitor leads to the problem?
Could you try 20-30 sec timeout? Could you check resource usage on the server?

Regards
Alex
Kren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex, thanks for the advice

I went and changed the RMA timeout to 30 seconds and restarted the service.

I've also run Perfmon on the server - it's hitting 40% CPU, and monitoring the disk I can see it's busy - but not thrashing.

Back on my server, if I do a refresh the status changes to "checking" for about 10 seconds, then reports back "RMA: Cannot read data"?

I've tried stopping and restarting the service again - I did get a warning that the service didn't stop inside 60 seconds, but then it appeared to restart ok.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Back on my server, if I do a refresh the status changes to "checking" for about 10 seconds, then reports back "RMA: Cannot read data"?

If you set 30 sec timeout than you should see "Checking" status for 30 sec (or good/bad test result sooner).
Please send agents.lst file (HostMonitor system) and RMA log file (RMA system) to support@ks-soft.net

Antivirus monitor?

Regards
Alex
Kren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried disabling our AV (Eset NOD32 AV4), disabled the service, changed the timeout to 45 seconds, then restarted the service.

Checking on Hostmon, both the ping and the disk space check were showing RMA error (unsurprising as I had stopped / restarted the service.)

Clicking refresh, the Ping comes back up quickly, the disk space check though takes about 10 seconds, and then reports back with the same error message. Then I realised I was being a bit dumb, and went into LANS / RMA Agents, and changed the timeout there as well from the 10 seconds to 45.

Rechecking, it now took about the 45 seconds and then reports back "Error THE RPC server is unavailable.".

So, I guess I try and book in some time overnight for a server reboot!
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
went into LANS / RMA Agents, and changed the timeout there

Correct, you should set timeout on HostMonitor side.

Quote:
I'm just setting up Site #3, on an isolated machine 192.168.100.10 - not domain joined.

As I understand RMA needs to check many systems in this LAN?
Then you need to start RMA service using admin account.
Also you need to use Connection Manager (HostMonitor menu Profiles), specify accounts for connections because RMA system (and probably target systems?) are not domain hosts.

Regards
Alex
Kren

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning!

Ok, I changed the timeout values on the Hostmon side, rather than the client machine.

Also, went into Profiles / Connection manager, and set up for Agent 192.168.100.10, using the host/resource name, with the local service account we have assigned for Hostmon, in the admin group, and set that to apply for all tests.

At the moment, the remote agent is running in GUI mode, and is showing 0-7 active connections, as expected, and shows 317 accepted and 0 rejected connections since the reboot - again that looks right.

But, back in Hostmon, it's running the remote ping test (using normal credentials), the RMA local ping test (using the agent) but showing "RMA: Cannot read data" for all the other tests, with the timeout currently set at 20 seconds.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets start from beginning:
- RMA started as service running on Windows Server 2003
- RMA system is not domain system.
- Target systems are not in domain.
- RMA cannot check remote systems, Windows returns "Error: THE RPC server is unavailable" error.
- Can RMA check disk space, memory, CPU on local system (use localhost in Test Properties dialog)?

You specified some local account using Connection Manager.
You should specify account that exists on target system.
Also, you should start RMA service using admin account, not "local system".
What about firewall on target systems?

Regards
Alex
Kren

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes- RMA started as service running on Windows Server 2003
Yes - RMA system is not domain system.
Yes, they are all on the same host as the RMA for reference - Target systems are not in domain.
Yes, except for Ping - RMA cannot check remote systems, Windows returns "Error: THE RPC server is unavailable" error.
Will tests - Can RMA check disk space, memory, CPU on local system (use localhost in Test Properties dialog)?

You specified some local account using Connection Manager.
You should specify account that exists on target system.
Also, you should start RMA service using admin account, not "local system".
What about firewall on target systems?

I used the account remotesystemname\SVC_Netmon, a local account in the admins group specifically for Hostmon to run under.

Ok, I tested with localhost, and I'm getting a good response now, all the tests are completing ok.

Thanks for your help Alex, appreciate it.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, they are all on the same host as the RMA for reference - Target systems are not in domain.

Do you mean RMA should check just 1 system, system where RMA is running?
Then please disregard everything I said about admin account, Connection Manager and so on. Simply start RMA using "local system" account and use "localhost" when setup tests.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: