KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Monitor IBM iseries M3 Server Grid web interface

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbeiter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Monitor IBM iseries M3 Server Grid web interface Reply with quote

Hi guys

I would like to hear if it's possible to monitor a web interface that is divided into columns and rows and have Hostmonitor to pick out the output from one specific cell. This cell could for example include CPU(HEAP) usage.

The web interface shows our M3 server grid environment and it's hosted on IBM iseries (power systems)

To give a better understanding, I have included a screenshot of the web interface (IP's are hidden):

http://imgur.com/a/qk5Q7

Right now we use another system (Halcyon) to monitor this web interface and to give an example to how this system looks into the cells, here's a screenshot of the configuration:

http://imgur.com/a/xDsK9

I'm looking forward to hear from you guys!
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably you can create script for Shell Script test method. If you show HTML code, we can check it
(screen shot provides 0 information about HTML code / data structure).

May be this service provides XML data as well?
May be there is SNMP agent?

Regards
Alex
mbeiter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Probably you can create script for Shell Script test method. If you show HTML code, we can check it
(screen shot provides 0 information about HTML code / data structure).

May be this service provides XML data as well?
May be there is SNMP agent?

Regards
Alex

Thanks for your reply Alex

I'm not really clever on this area, regarding if the service provides XML data or if there is a SNMP agent.

I can provide you with the HTML code for the web interface (sorry for the spam).

...HTML copied into file...
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTML designed for entertainment.
SNMP protocol designed for monitoring.
Use SNMP when possible - this way both systems (target server and HostMonitor system) will consume much less resources.

Google says there is Integrated Management Module software on IBM M2 and M3 systems.
Integrated Management Module allows you to start SNMP agent.
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/systems/support/system_x_pdf/88y7599.pdf

I would suggest to check up to date manuals that come with your server, start SNMP agent (probably agent already started?), find OIDs for counters you want to monitor (or find MIB file and compile it using MIB Browser from our package) and setup SNMP tests for monitoring.

I am confused by "CPU(HEAP) usage" term. Probably you want to check 2 different parameters - CPU load and Heap usage (memory usage)?
For some systems HostMonitor offers build-in CPU Usage and Memory test methods. What OS used on your IBM system? AS/400? Linux?

Regards
Alex
mbeiter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex

Thanks for taking your time to answer/help regarding my issue.

I have managed to start the SNMP service on the IBM Power System - I did this via a command in the AS/400 OS on the server.

I can now see SNMP responses from the system via the "IP TOOLS" software and I have configured a quick SNMP GET job in hostmonitor using a default IBM OID from your Mibbrowser - it gives me the system description.

So far so good.
Now I just have an issue finding the OIDs for the IBM Power System or the MIB file. The only thing I find is a MIB file for the HMC, which is also a part of the system but not something I need.

You are right about the 2 parameters, it should be a check of the CPU load and Heap usage (RAM/memory usage) sorry for not pointing this out.

The IBM Power System that we have runs AS/400 OS.

The idea is to monitor CPU and Heap usage on each Autojob on the AS/400 system.
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS/400 CPU Load (10000=100%):

Logged in users:

Memory usage should be checked by HostMonitor "Memory" test (SNMP protocol):
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#tests.htm#memory

You may find AS/400 MIB file and import it into MIB Browser. This will give you all available counters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: