KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Monitoring IIS application pool memory usage (many pools)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaoscontrol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Monitoring IIS application pool memory usage (many pools) Reply with quote

Hi,

I can't seem to find a working answer so I hope someone can point me into the right direction. I want to monitor the memory usage of the IIS application pools but I have failed to retrieve this info so far.

I tried using the perfmon counters from ASP.NET but these wont work remotely. Also they dont supply the correct name so it was kind of useless anyway.

Trying to use WMI now but no luck as of yet. Can someone point me towards where I need to be?

Kind regards!
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total memory usage by ALL application pools?
or memory usage by some specific application pool?

Regards
Alex
chaoscontrol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I would like to know the memory in use for each application pool.

I imagine this will be 1 rule/item per application pool.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each application pool running as w3wp.exe process, so total memory can be checked as summarized memory usage by all w3wp.exe processes.
Also, its easy to find process that uses most of memory.

But you need memory usage for EACH application pool so its more difficult. I am not sure what is the best way
May be use WMI query like
Select CommandLine, Name, WorkingSetSize From Win32_Process Where name = 'w3wp.exe'
or
Select CommandLine, Name, WorkingSetSize From Win32_Process Where (name = 'w3wp.exe') and (CommandLike LIKE '%specific_app_pool%')
and use commandLine field to find specific application pool (there are different command line parameters for different application pools).

This means you can use single script for all checks but you need to create separate test item for each application pool and specify application pool as parameter of the script in each test item (or use unique WMI query for each application pool). In any case you need to setup tests for all application pools...

Regards
Alex
chaoscontrol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex, This is exactly what I wanted to know. I'm getting all the values I need now, just need to do some formatting.

I will post final wmi queries here so other people might benefit from it.

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: