KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

External program action

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a test that is checking to see if a win2k process is running. The actions I have defined is email alert if process stops and because I cannot see any "restart process" option like the restart service option I thought I could possibly achieve the same thing by using external program action module. I have typed in the full UNC path for the process executable file on the remote workstation but test does not seem to work. Is what I am trying to do possible? Also is there any debugging, log etc that states why external program action has failed?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HostMonitor executes external programs on local system only (system where HostMonitor is running). To start application on remote system you can use freeware utility from Sysinternals: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psexec.shtml
Copy psexec to HostMonitor's system and modify "Execute external program" action to use command line like "c:hostmonitorpsexec \remote_computer_name -u username -p password c:pathapplication_on_remote_system"

>Also is there any debugging, log etc that states why external program action has failed?

When HostMonitor cannot execute action, it records information into system log (specified on Advanced Logging page in the Options dialog).

Regards
Alex
Chiz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt response.
The psexec program seems to work and the processes appear to start in the process list in the task manager on remote machine but don't show up onscreen or in application list. I.e I set the process to start up remotely as being mspaint for testing which started mspaint in the remote process list but did not start up the microsoft paint application regardless of what SW window mode I selected??
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add "-i" parameter to the command line:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psexec.shtml

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: