KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Printer and UPS/PDU monitoring vis SNMP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Printer and UPS/PDU monitoring vis SNMP Reply with quote

Hi,

I am trying to add monitoring of some parameters (like battery temperatures, voltage, load, status of toner supplies for printers etc.) via SNMP.

First, I run MiB Browser utility and got some IDs for our APC Smart-UPS X 3000 units and Canon 6065 Image Runner Advanced iR-ADV 6065. I have no previous experience with SNMP setup and no matter what I try I can't get even a single SNMP test run successfully. Below are some of the settings I've attempted:

Could you please help me with this setup? Once I have at least cople parameters monitored and I know how to set them up I hope I'll be able to expand the list of test.

Thank you!
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already replied by e-mail...

---

1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.3.2.12 = object identifier
.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.apc.products.system.smartUPS.smartUPS3000
I think it will not return any information.

We have no information regarding 2 other counters. Could you please send MIB files to support@ks-soft.net?

---

On the other hand its better to contact APC Smart-UPS support team.
They should know this device works and what counters it supports...

Regards
Alex
alert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some information on another forum for rival product and was able to set 3 tests so far:

.1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.8.1 (to check if the system can communicate with the UPS.)
.1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.4 (to check the battery replace alert)
.1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.2 (to check the internal battery temperature)

Let me explain how I started setting up these tests. First I executed IP-Tools/SNMP Scanner utility and scanned whole 192.168.40.0 network where all my UPS/PDU devices are. It found most of them and I've picked up one to test:

192.168.40.90 Reply time: 76 ms 1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.3.27 APC Web/SNMP Management Card (MB:v4.0.1 PF:v6.0.6 PN:apc_hw05_aos_606.bin AF1:v6.0.6 AN1:apc_hw05_sumx_606.bin MN:AP9630 HR:05 SN: ZA1402018366 MD:01/09/2014) (Embedded PowerNet SNMP Agent SW v2.2 compatible) 5day(s) 01:41:07 No 2 0 / dynamic public

I've used the above System ID 1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.3.27 reported by SNMP Scanner and attempted to set SNMP Table test in AHM which didn't work. My attempt to use built-in MIB Browser resulted in new OID that I found by browsing products in the tree and finding one named apc\SmartUPS 3000 but the test never worked reporting usually "SNMP error: No such name". What I am doing wrong here? How should I use MIB Browser and SNMP scanner in order to get an ID that can be actually used for tests?

Edit: after browsing lists of OIDs via MIB Browser I found some with green arrow that appear to be ones that can be used for tests, am I right?

One more general question (related to "check the internal battery temperature" test above or any similar that needs to test for a value that is between or outside of two threshold values. How do I set it to alert me if the the temperature is more than 10 but less than 35 degrees? I've looked at Expressions that can be set on "This test depends on" but cannot find one that is getting the value. Maybe I should use SNMP Table test instead?

Thank you.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usually we replied to your e-mail couple hours ago (e-mails have higher priority)

Yes, you may compile powernet414.MIB file, there are over 6000 APC counters. MIB Browser needs couple minutes to build the tree.

Probably you need the following OIDs
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.1.1.0 (upsBasicBatteryStatus)
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.1.2.0 (upsBasicBatteryTimeOnBattery)
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.1.3.0 (upsBasicBatteryLastReplaceDate)
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.1.0 (upsAdvBatteryCapacity)
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.2.0 (upsAdvBatteryTemperature)
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.3.0 (upsAdvBatteryRunTimeRemaining - - no details in MIB file but Google says "This value is reported in 100ths of a second"
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.4.0 (upsAdvBatteryReplaceIndicator)

upsBasicBatteryStatus OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX INTEGER {
unknown(1),
batteryNormal(2),
batteryLow(3),
batteryInFaultCondition(4)
}
ACCESS read-only
STATUS mandatory
DESCRIPTION
"The status of the UPS batteries. A batteryLow(3) value indicates the UPS will be unable to sustain the current load, and its services will be lost if power is not restored. The amount of run time in reserve at the time of low battery can be configured by the upsAdvConfigLowBatteryRunTime. A batteryInFaultCondition(4)value indicates that a battery installed has an internal error condition."
::= { upsBasicBattery 1 }

upsBasicBatteryTimeOnBattery OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX TimeTicks
ACCESS read-only
STATUS mandatory
DESCRIPTION
"The elapsed time since the UPS has switched to battery power."
::= { upsBasicBattery 2 }

upsBasicBatteryLastReplaceDate OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX DisplayString
ACCESS read-write
STATUS mandatory
DESCRIPTION
"The date when the UPS system's batteries were last replaced in mm/dd/yy (or yyyy) format. For Smart-UPS models, this value is originally set in the factory. When the UPS batteries are replaced, this value should be reset by the administrator. For Symmetra PX 250/500 this OID is read only and is configurable in the local display only."
::= { upsBasicBattery 3 }

-- the upsAdvBattery group

upsAdvBatteryCapacity OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX Gauge
ACCESS read-only
STATUS mandatory
DESCRIPTION
"The remaining battery capacity expressed in percent of full capacity."
::= { upsAdvBattery 1 }

upsAdvBatteryTemperature OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX Gauge
ACCESS read-only
STATUS mandatory
DESCRIPTION
"The current internal UPS temperature expressed in Celsius."
::= { upsAdvBattery 2 }

upsAdvBatteryRunTimeRemaining OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX TimeTicks
ACCESS read-only
STATUS mandatory
DESCRIPTION
"The UPS battery run time remaining before battery exhaustion."
::= { upsAdvBattery 3 }

upsAdvBatteryReplaceIndicator OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX INTEGER {
noBatteryNeedsReplacing(1),
batteryNeedsReplacing(2)
}
ACCESS read-only
STATUS mandatory
DESCRIPTION
"Indicates whether the UPS batteries need replacing."
::= { upsAdvBattery 4 }

Quote:
.1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.8.1 (to check if the system can communicate with the UPS.)

Any OID can be used for this purpose, e.g. counter supported by any SNMP agent 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0 (syUptime)

Quote:
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.4 (to check the battery replace alert)
.1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.2 (to check the internal battery temperature)

I think this is single instance counter, add ".0"

Quote:
>Could you please explain how do I set any SNMP test for this UPS?

You just need to find correct OID and SNMP connection parameters (host or IP address, port, SNMP version, community string).
How to find OID? There are several ways
a) ask manufacturer (APC and Canon)
b) find MIB files provided by manufacturer (may be it comes on CD with your devices), compile MIB file using MIB Browser and then find OID you need using MIB browser
c) Google
May be you need these counters?
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.1.0 - battery%
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.4.2.1.0 - output voltage
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.4.1.1.0 - state

Quote:
Edit: after browsing lists of OIDs via MIB Browser I found some with green arrow that appear to be ones that can be used for tests, am I right?

Green arrow - read only counter
Yellow arrow - rear/write counter
There are thousands "green" counters, you need counters specific for your device.

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One more general question (related to "check the internal battery temperature" test above or any similar that needs to test for a value that is between or outside of two threshold values. How do I set it to alert me if the the temperature is more than 10 but less than 35 degrees? I've looked at Expressions that can be set on "This test depends on" but cannot find one that is getting the value. Maybe I should use SNMP Table test instead?

Mark "Use Warning status if" option and use expression like
('%SuggestedReply%'>10) and ('%SuggestedReply%'<35)
There are examples in manual
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#tests.htm#usrstatusprocessing

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: