KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Warning: cannot retrieve service list
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dminkler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recieve this message when trying to reach some servers at one of our remote sites. Other server at the same site, in the same domain, I can reach with no problem. Any ideas would be welcome.

Note: I am able to attach to all the servers via MS remote desktop connection with no problem so I know my username and password as well as connection are working.

HostMon Server: MS W2K SP3
Remote Server: MS W2K SP2
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to use "stest" utility available at http://www.ks-soft.net/download/stest.exe. This command line utility has 2 parameters: ServerName ServiceName. It will display error message that will explain why application cannot retrieve information.

Regards
Alex
dminkler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex,

When I use stest.exe I get the following.

OpenDatabase .. Error #5: Access is denied

Is this a rights issue on the server, if so, what do I need to do to change it? Thanks in Advance.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H'm, Microsoft says any authenticated user has rights to enumerate services. Do you use "Connect as" parameter of the test?

Regards
Alex
Marcus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things that come to mind with an Access denied error:

User name / password incorrect
Target server is not a member of the domain
Target server is not able to connect (or validate) to a DC in the domain

If it is not a DC, try a local account for connection.
dminkler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex and Marcus. In HOSTMON I do use the "Connect As" with the same username and password that I use for remote desktop (in this case the administrator account).
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Sorry, I forgot that stest.exe does not authenticate you on remote system. It works correctly when connection with remote system already established. There is new stest.exe that has 2 new optional parameters: Login Password. Please try it.

2) I know "Access denied" error can appear when systems work as workgroup. In this case Windows 2000 allows authenticated users to work with services. But Windows XP in the same situation returns "access denied" error. But you said your system in the same domain... I checked manual and forums but did not find answer

Regards
Alex
Marcus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>But Windows XP in the same situation returns "access denied" error. But you said your system in the same domain... I checked manual and forums but did not find answer

And the answer is: include the domain name or server name of the target server:'domainaccount' or 'serveraccount'

[ This Message was edited by: Marcus on 2003-04-17 00:31 ]
JM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Same problem.. Reply with quote

I have the same problem.
Host monitor (v4.62) is on a XP computer. Server to monitor is in a different network on a workgroup (windows 2000 SP3).
I'm using an account with administrator rights I have tried with all of this combinations:
Local Account - Password
Server\Local Account - Password
Workgroup\Local Account - Password

All of them with the same result - Access is denied
I was not able to download the stest utility (not in the server?)
I'm able to connect to the network shares from the computer using connect as of windows...

Any help will be great!
Thanks,
JM
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stest avilable at http://www.ks-soft.net/download/stest.exe (no dot at the end of the link)

Quote:
I'm using an account with administrator rights

Does it mean HostMonitor is running under account with administrator rights? HostMonitor is running as application? Or service?
XP system located in domain? Or just another workgroup?

I think the most releable solution for monitoring separate network - RMA installed in that network.

Regards
Alex
JM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
stest avilable at http://www.ks-soft.net/download/stest.exe (no dot at the end of the link)

Does it mean HostMonitor is running under account with administrator rights? HostMonitor is running as application? Or service?
XP system located in domain? Or just another workgroup?

I think the most releable solution for monitoring separate network - RMA installed in that network.

Regards
Alex

HostMonitor is running as an application under an account with administration rights on a different domain. When it tries to connect to the server it uses an account with adminitrator rights on the workgroup and server that is trying to connect to.

I have made some test with the stest app.
It looks like the problem is when it tries to connect to the remote computer. It tells that it can not resolve the name of the specified computer.

I have tried with the computer name and with the IP of the computer on both gives me an unable to resolve the network name.

I can ping and map network drives to the remote computer using both the name and the IP. In fact If I have mapped one network drive to the remote computer it will give an unable to resolve the network name but it will be able to find the service and it will give me an ok on the test.

What kind of name resolving method is using the app?
The XP desktop that is hosting the monitor is using WINS and DNS. But the remote computer is not in the domain and it does not appear on them so I included the remote machine on the host and on the lmhost files..

to use the RMA I have to change the firewall setiings I would prefer to use the host monitor.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It looks like the problem is when it tries to connect to the remote computer. It tells that it can not resolve the name of the specified computer.

What exactly error message do you see?
"Network connect .. cannot resolve the name of specified computer"
or
"OpenDatabase .. Error #???: cannot resolve the name...."
?

Quote:
What kind of name resolving method is using the app?

For Service test HostMonitor does not use any resolving method. It passes name (that you have specified) to Windows API (OpenSCManager function). http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/openscmanager.asp
Normally it should accept IP address or name of the system (if system in the same network!!).

Quote:
to use the RMA I have to change the firewall setiings I would prefer to use the host monitor.

Firewall??!!
You have firewall between HostMonitor and target system? It explains the problem.
Install RMA and open single port on firewall. Otherwise you will need to open many many ports on firewall for RPC (Remote Procedure Call).
So, better use RMA

Regards
Alex
JM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:

What exactly error message do you see?
"Network connect .. cannot resolve the name of specified computer"
or
"OpenDatabase .. Error #???: cannot resolve the name...."
?

What I see on the screen:

Code:

C:\>stest ESMADC04 MSSQLSERVER ESMADC04\administrator ********
Network connect .. No se encuentra el nombre de red especificado.
OpenDatabase .. Error #5: Acceso denegado.

C:\>stest ESMADC04 MSSQLSERVER administrator ********

C:\>stest 10.55.0.7 MSSQLSERVER administrator ********

C:\>stest 10.55.0.7 MSSQLSERVER 10.55.0.7\administrator ********

C:\>net use j: \\ESMADC04\c$ /user:ESMADC04\administrator ********
Se ha completado el comando correctamente.

C:\>stest ESMADC04 MSSQLSERVER administrator ********
OpenDatabase .. Ok
OpenService .. Ok
Ok

As you can see I'm in Spain the responses are on spanish

No se encuentra el nombre de red especificado. = cannot resolve the name of specified computer
Acceso denegado. = Access denied

As soon as I map a network drive It gives me Ok on openning the database and checking the service. But it keeps giving me an error on the name resolution.
To make an action for restating a service on a remote computer I have to map a network drive first. It is ok for now but I would like to use it without the mappings.

Quote:

Firewall??!!
You have firewall between HostMonitor and target system? It explains the problem.
Install RMA and open single port on firewall. Otherwise you will need to open many many ports on firewall for RPC (Remote Procedure Call).
So, better use RMA

Regards
Alex

Our Firewall allows all kind of traffic that comes from the trusted areas (internal network) to our DMZs (external networks) and once stablished the connection it will allow "known" traffic to go both directions.
RMA will work for us if the connection is started always on the Host Monitor not in the RMA.
I know that is really simple to open a port on the firewall but in a company as big as our company a simple step can be very complicated...
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No se encuentra el nombre de red especificado. = cannot resolve the name of specified computer

This error appears because you didn't use \\. Name should be in UNC format, e.g. \\ESMADC04
Following "access denied" error appears because network connection was not established.

Quote:
RMA will work for us if the connection is started always on the Host Monitor not in the RMA.

Connection is started always on the Host Monitor. So, you don't need to change firewall settings.

Regards
Alex
JM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:

This error appears because you didn't use \\. Name should be in UNC format, e.g. \\ESMADC04
Following "access denied" error appears because network connection was not established.

It did work thanks for the help.

Quote:

Connection is started always on the Host Monitor. So, you don't need to change firewall settings.

Thatīs great!, I will check it out too...
Thanks again,
JM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: