KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Sending a Popup to a client

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msmith

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's possible to do this, but I was hoping you can tell me.

I can use the NET SEND command in a batch file to send windows popup message to a client. example:

NET SEND computername1 The server is down again!

the client will recieve a popup window with the message, but here's my problem.

I'd like to be able to use the Hostmonitor variables in the message, so it says what server/test failed and possibly when.

I know there is an API for the NET SEND command. does host monitor support NET SEND as an action, and if not, are there any plans to support it in the future?

Thanks.

and the user at the
msmith

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, I tried to use an HMS script, but it didn't seem to work, here's the script I used:

ExecuteProgram NET SEND pcname %TestName% %SimpleStatus% on %DateTime%

I also tried with the StartProgram HMS command.

Thanks
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>does host monitor support NET SEND as an action

You can execute ANY external program using "Execute external program" action. You can use macro variables in the command line, so I don't see any problem. If you starts program from BAT/CMD file, use %1, %2, etc to pass parameters (e.g. "NET SEND computer1 %1 %2 %3 %4").

>also, I tried to use an HMS script, but it didn't seem to work, here's the script I used:
ExecuteProgram NET SEND pcname %TestName% %SimpleStatus% on %DateTime%

You missed "TimeToWait" parameter. If script doesn't work, please check system log. HostMonitor records message that explain what's wrong.

Regards
Alex
msmith

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the differnece between the StartProgram command and the ExecuteProgram comman, and what one would be better to use to launch a batch file.

Thanks
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>What's the differnece between the StartProgram command and the ExecuteProgram comman

Its described in manual:

StartProgram starts external program and continue to execute the script (do not wait until external program will terminate)

ExecuteProgram executes external program, waits until external program is terminated, and continues to execute the script. If parameter <TimeToWait> is not equal to 0, HostMonitor will "kill" the external application when the application is not finished within the given timeout (time defined in milliseconds).
Be careful with this command, HostMonitor stops monitoring when executes external program by this command.

>and what one would be better to use to launch a batch file

It depends on your needs

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: