KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ideas for the new Service list window

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kapz

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Ideas for the new Service list window Reply with quote

Hi !

Running HM 8.02 on windows Server 2003.

The new window that shows services on a machine reached through an RMA is a great enhancement

When using it I've come up with a few ideas that might enhance the functionality:

* A column that shows the services Startup Type (Automatic, Manual, Disabled)
This might prevent erroneous setting up tests that monitor services that intentionally won't come up after a reboot of the server beeing monitored - or services that only runs when needed.

* A button that A) Copies the Short Name of the highlighted service to the 'Service to monitor' field in the Test Properties window and B) Copies the Display Name to the keyboard buffer (CTRL+C functionality)
Currently when I setup monitoring of services, I need to have an open RDP connection to the server beeing monitored in order to get the Display Name that I use in the Test Name - the functionality mentioned above would eliminate the need for an RDP connection for this rather simple purpose.

Hopefully this could be considered for a future release.

Thanks !

Kasper
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A column that shows the services Startup Type (Automatic, Manual, Disabled)

Ok. Low priority task

Quote:
Currently when I setup monitoring of services, I need to have an open RDP connection to the server beeing monitored in order to get the Display Name that I use in the Test Name - the functionality mentioned above would eliminate the need for an RDP connection for this rather simple purpose.

??
If you use %path% variable, HostMonitor will display this property automatically.
Quote from the manual
====================
Also you may use %path% variable for service test template. Variable returns "display name" property of the service (while %object% variable represents short name).
====================
You may setup patterns and everything will be done automatically.
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#patterns.htm
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#tests.htm#templates
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#tests.htm#testpropvariables

Regards
Alex
Kapz

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

> If you use %path% variable, HostMonitor will display this property automatically.
Yes, I just tested a bit with setting up patterns and using %path% seems to do the job.
All of our patterns was turned off so it never crossed my mind to use them.

Thanks for the hint !

/Kasper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: