KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Problem with Windows 7 Install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Moore

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Problem with Windows 7 Install Reply with quote

I've been running HostMonitor for several years on Windows XP. It's all working fine, running as a service. Today I installed it on a new machine running Windows 7. I don't have HostMonitor running as a service.

Almost all the tests are failing now. They're still working for my servers running Windows 2003, but for the ones running Windows 2008 or Windows 2012, all the tests show as "Unknown" except for the straight ping tests. All the service tests show as "Unknown."

What could the problem be? What do I need to do to fix it?

Thanks,
Rob
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What HostMonitor version do you use?
What other (except Service) test methods are getting Unknown status?
What is Reply field of test items with Unknown status?
Do you have UAC enabled?
As I understand, HostMonitor is running as Application (not as a Service). Correct?
Rob Moore

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed version 9.40 (that's the same version I'm running on my XP machine).

Pretty much the only two kinds of tests I do are Ping and Service. Almost all of the Service tests are coming back as Unknown, if the server is Windows 2008 or Windows 2012. A few of them are working, though. And all the tests are working for Windows 2003 servers. (Everything works fine on the Windows XP machine.) I do have some "NT Event Log" tests that are working normally.

The Reply field is "Win32 error #5".

UAC is disabled.

HostMonitor is running as an Application. (It runs as a Service on the XP machine.)

Thanks,
Rob
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Win32 error #5" means Access denied.
Have you provided user account credentials using Connection Manager (menu Profiles -> Connection Manager...) or "Connect as" option located on Test properties dialog?
Rob Moore

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the tests have an account/password in the "Connect As" fields.

I tried filling out the Connection Manager information. I've never done it that way before. It didn't seem to help.

Rob
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both systems: HostMonitor and Target are located in the same Domain?
Have you checked Evend log on target system for Failure logons?
Please note, you may need to enable Failure/Success logon audit on target system.
Is HostMonitor started under admin account (account that belongs to local administrator group)?
Could you also setup additional test items for Targer syatem: CPU Usage, WMI, Process and Performance counter test?
Rob Moore

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both systems are in the same domain.

I looked in the Security log. I see an Audit Success event from a NULL SID that seems to correspond with the right time. I also see an Audit Success event from the user account I use on the HostMonitor station, that seems to correspond with the right time. (I turned on "Success" and "Failure" for "Audit Logon Events" before I started looking.)

The account I log onto the HostMonitor workstation with is a local administrator on that machine. It is not an admin on any of the target machines.

I just set up a CPU Usage test and that worked fine. Then I tried to set up a new Service test. When I tried to choose the service to monitor, I got this error: "Cannot retrieve service list from \\PHL-BACKUP3". Does that help at all?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it does not help, it makes everything more confusing.
CPU Usage test requires RPC, Remote Registry Service and admin rights.
Service test requires just RPC and power user account.
How CPU Usage test works and Service test returns Access denied? We have no idea how this is possible
We could think about some non standard policies but everything works when HostMontior started on Windows XP.

Do you have Service Pack installed on Windows 7 system?
I assume its not Windows Home or Windows Starter?
Antivirus monitor?

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: