KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Requiring %TestName% %TestID% %Status% %Reply% in ODBC Log

View previous topic :: View next topic  
njackson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Requiring %TestName% %TestID% %Status% %Reply% in ODBC Log Reply with quote

Requiring %TestName% %TestID% %Status% %Reply% in Options for Backup or System log using ODBC.

I think this should be an option and at most a warning if they are not included. This should not be a requirement as I include that information in a global macro variable and use the variable in the SQL query. Perhaps it could be checked if, when it's used, the global macro variable contains the needed info.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where do you see a bug... and why do you use some global variable instead of %TestID%? Truth to say I do not see any sense in such substitution.
Could you please explain why do you need this?

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS
Also, how System log relates to this? System log has fixed format, you cannot specify any variables.

Regards
Alex
njackson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about System log. My oversight.

Please move to where you think would best be if it's not a bug. It was unexpected so it's my own opinion that it is a bug.

Otherwise it's not about global macro variables. It's the need for those 4 items in backup log. Perhaps I only need %TestName% and %Reply%. Or maybe I need %TestMethod%, %PreviousStatusDuration_sec% and %StatusID%. What is the sense of that? It shouldn't matter. What does is I should be able to log whatever information I may need.

An idea may be to warn that key information is not present (disclaimer) and then let it be with what is entered.
njackson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Host Monitor version 9.30
OS version Windows Server 2003 R2
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Log without information about test results has no sense. That's why you need to record timestamp, testname, testID, status and reply.
You may use either %Status% or %StatusID%. Also you have several options for reply fields.

Quote:
Perhaps I only need %TestName% and %Reply%. Or maybe I need %TestMethod%, %PreviousStatusDuration_sec% and %StatusID%.

Sounds like you don't know what exactly do you need. Then we recommend to keep default list of fields.

Quote:
What is the sense of that? It shouldn't matter

It does matter.
Especially if you decide to start Log Analyzer, analyze your log and create some reports.

Anyway, could you please explain what exactly is the problem?
May be you just want to save 10-60 bytes per record by removing testname and/or reply_integer fields? Is this really important and useful?

Regards
Alex
njackson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concede.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Bug reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: