KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Services Baseline

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Svend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Services Baseline Reply with quote

Not sure if this exists but I think it would be cool...

Is there a way I could caputure a list of all of the services that are running on a server, then if this changes I can get an alert that tells me which services have stopped or started (or both even).
A button to re-get the baseline services would then let me reset the list once I am happy that all is in order.

I create tests to monitor all kinds of services but they keep inventing new ones so when a server has some software or an update the goalposts have moved and you can never be entirely sure which service is critical and which is nice to have. It is a big job to create a test for every service.

Svend.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about simple WMI test?
The query SELECT Name FROM Win32_Service WHERE Started=0 AND StartMode='Auto' will show all services that suppose to be started but not started (or stopped) for some reason.

HostMonitor will not display all "rows" but it can show 1st of such services or tell you number of such services.
http://ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#tests.htm#wmi

Regards
Alex
Svend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The query you showed me is good but using it is where it gets complex.

What I probably want is...

SELECT Name FROM Win32_Service WHERE Started=1 then store this as a Baseline.
Now every test, repeat the query and compare it to the Baseline.
Alert if the query and the Baseline vary and tell me what is not running now and/or what is now running that wasn't running in the Baseline. Actually tell me the Caption rather than the Name a this is what I will see when I go looking for it.

This would give me a single test that could quickly tell me if a service state has changed since the server was known to be healthy.

Sometimes you dont know that something is not running until other problems start to happen. AV may not be running, the DNS may be failing over to the secondary etc.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why "all auto services should be started" cannot be used as baseline?

Regards
Alex
Svend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. Why it can't? Because a number of services start but then stop themselves when they are not needed. The number seems to be increasing. Under windows 7 I see .NET 4 services that stop themselves.

Also there are many services that may be left as 'manual'. This is fine because they are started by other processes and services if required. But if they are started and running then they are probably needed and if they were to then stop it may be worth investigating. So there are many of these that would should be included in the baseline as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: