KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Web Interface discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is demo of web interface that will be available in HostMonitor 4.0
http://www.ks-soft.net/hm40.eng/webinterface/examples/index.htm
http://www.ks-soft.net/hm40.eng/webinterface/examples/index2.htm
http://www.ks-soft.net/hm40.eng/webinterface/examples/columns.htm
http://www.ks-soft.net/hm40.eng/webinterface/examples/t01.htm

Its not working interface, just demo. Consider its screen shot

Several notes: Web Interface will not allow you to configure all parameters HostMonitor (at least in version 4.0). You will be able to check tests, start/stop monitoring, enable/disable alerts, refresh tests, reset statistics, enable/disable tests, reload HostMonitor. Of course access will be password protected and different operators will have different rights.
To complete remote managment of HostMonitor will be available another Win32 application: HM RCC (Remote Control Center) that will look like HostMonitor and allows you to change any HostMonitor's settings (tests, folders, profiles, options).

So, lets discuss about Web Interface...

Regards
Alex
Marcus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, my first questions:

1. Is it possible to allow access on a per folder basis, using this web-interface

2. Is there some way to incorporate the current custom html reports I have created.

My primary concern is how to represent my current 1700+ tests with this layout. I currently use a 11x11 pixel image for the status of a test (with different colors for eacht status). This allows me to put all tests in one window and directly see the status of a test.
Marcus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one:

Color of the folders on the left side. It does not reflect the current status of the tests inside the folder.

It would also be nice if you do not see items you are not allowed to use. It wil prevent confusion.

[ This Message was edited by: Marcus on 2003-03-31 07:01 ]
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>1. Is it possible to allow access on a per folder basis, using this web-interface

This option is not really related to web interface. Web service just make requests to HostMonitor. So, if access on a per folder basis will be implemented in HostMonitor, you will see the same behavior using Web Interface.
BTW: this method of protection (access on a per folder basis) will be related to tests modifications only. Any operator with right to make remote connect will be able to see all tests.

>2. Is there some way to incorporate the current custom html reports I have created.

I think it will be implemented but I am not sure it will be in version 4.0. May be later

>Color of the folders on the left side. It does not reflect the current status of the tests inside the folder.

Its just a demo. It will be implemented

Anybody else interesting in Web Interface? Or just me and Marcus?

Regards
Alex
Marcus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nice option would be a tooltip with the current status information. And when you need more information, you can click the item (as it is now).
jromariz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

Once again you made it. Very nice to have the option of a web interface. It will be very usefull for me. The pages looks good to me.

Regards,

Jromariz.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Another nice option would be a tooltip with the current status information. And when you need more information, you can click the item (as it is now).

What exactly information do you need?
Now it displays total number of tests and folders, number of good/bad/unknown tests.

Regards
Alex
Marcus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the current state as you can see at: http://www.ks-soft.net/hm40.eng/webinterface/examples/t01.htm

But only when you position your mouse above the item. If you want more information, you click the item for the whole page. So this means extra information for every test, without leaving the page.

[ This Message was edited by: Marcus on 2003-04-02 01:18 ]
jrweiss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

looks good to me!

However, wouldn't it be good to implement it as a MMC snap-in (follow the UI guildeines for MMC snap-ins) and just give a Web Interface the same look and feel?

Regards, J.
mpriess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Alex.

Can there be "sleep" and "schedule outage" options as well? Currently, our web department has an in-house developed monitoring system that allows them to schedule times when the it will not alert or can tell certain tests to sleep "not alert" for an hour, day etc. They would like to move their tests to hostmonitor but require these features before doing so.

Security is also a major concern for us. Will their be logging in the system log that shows what user disabledenabled or changed tests?

Thx...take care,
Mark
FLynch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Alex,

Generally I really like the look and feel.

One feature I think would be really useful is the ability to get access to some of the statistics functionality currently in v3.x.

For example my IT Team are often interested - for the purposes of bug resolution - at looking how a service/server etc has behaved over time. Currently they use the PC hosting HM to run these and then browse the full screen charts.

Could this functionality appear in the web interface. In fact ideally it would be great to chart out 2 or more monitors, this would be a great addition for helping resolve system issues where there are a high number of interdependencies.

Excellent work !
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Marcus,

>But only when you position your mouse above the item. If you want more information, you click the item for the whole page. So this means extra information for every test, without leaving the page.

I think it will be possible by using HTML templates only (like Custom HTML report).

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To jrweiss,

However, wouldn't it be good to implement it as a MMC snap-in (follow the UI guildeines for MMC snap-ins) and just give a Web Interface the same look and feel?

H'm, MMC.. What about Windows NT 4.0, Win 98/ME? As I know MMC snap-in can work on Windows 2000/XP. Right?

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To mpriess,

>Can there be "sleep" and "schedule outage" options as well? Currently, our web department has an in-house developed monitoring system that allows them to schedule times when the it will not alert or can tell certain tests to sleep "not alert" for an hour, day etc.

We have this task in "to do" list. When this feature will be implemented in HostMonitor it will be available thru web interface as well.

>Security is also a major concern for us. Will their be logging in the system log that shows what user disabledenabled or changed tests?

Now HostMonitor logs information about remote connection (time, user name), also it logs information when user starts/stops monitoring, enables/disables tests. But it does not inform which user made operation. However you can set different permissions to each operator (e.g. enable/disable tests only, or start/stop monitoring, configure report profiles, and change options).

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To FLynch,

>For example my IT Team are often interested - for the purposes of bug resolution - at looking how a service/server etc has behaved over time. Currently they use the PC hosting HM to run these and then browse the full screen charts.

Probably Log Analyzer 4.0 will help in this case. It will be able to generate HTML reports, as option it can include chart for each test. New Log Analyzer separated from HostMonitor and can be started on remote system (just need access to log files).

>Excellent work !

Thank you

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: