KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Changing the test method

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wbtrans

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why when one goes into edit mode, nearly all parameters can be changed except the test method. Why is this?
I had a ping test which I wanted to convert to a HTTP test. The only way to do this is to delete the test and recreate a new one from scratch. Not very efficient though!
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How it can be possible to convert Ping test into HTTP test? HTTP test has completelly different parameters (URL, Request method, Check CRC, Download Images, Enable cookies), how it can be converted from Ping test? Or how can be possible to convert Service test into ODBC test?

Regards
Alex
Wbtrans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Convert is maybe not the right word to use. I just want to select another test. I assumed that the "test method" is an attribute of a test, just like the alert profile, the test interval etc. When editing an existing test, I can modify all these parameters, why can I not select another test than the one I originally selected? Sorry, but this does not appear logical to me??
Walter
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test method is not a property of the test, its test. How you can convert apple into grape? If you have a car, you can change color, tires, steering-wheel but you cannot convert Toyota Echo into Chevrolet Suburban.

Regards
Alex
Wbtrans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly the point. It is a question of design. I am sure you could have made the test method a property of the test. The test itself would be nothing else than a container for properties such as test method, alert pattern, interval, name, etc. This approach would avoid one to have to delete an entire test and recreate it just because one wants to carry out a different test.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will not be implemented

Regards
Alex

[ This Message was edited by: KS-Soft on 2003-03-28 17:37 ]
BHarvey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can definitely be a big help when creating multiple tests for a specific host. The ability to copy a test, then just change the test type and adjust a couple of parameters is much easier than having to set dependencies, time, schedule, alerting, and logging for each test.

I do appreciate that you can select multiple tests and modify the common parameters (such as those listed above) as a group.

Whether or not it gets implemented, this is just a wish list. We all appreciate your responsiveness to the high demands we put on you, and are very much looking forward to v4.

Thanks.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't like idea of changing test method. Lets think in different way. What about some templates those can hold common test properties + "Use teplate..." button (or combo box) in Test Properties dialog?

Regards
Alex
Marcus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>What about some templates those can hold common test properties + "Use teplate..." button (or combo box)

If a user can define the templates, it would remove my scripts I use for this purpose. I would welcome it.

[ This Message was edited by: Marcus on 2003-04-13 08:29 ]
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course user will be able to change template parameters, create new templates, etc.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: