KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Advanced Host Monitor 9.00 Beta

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAIC-WL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Advanced Host Monitor 9.00 Beta Reply with quote

Hello,

I was recently prompted to download and install HM 9.00 Beta.
I'm wondering if there is any sort of version download restriction, like is there a limit on the amount of times you can download new versions (I own the Enterprise Edition of HM.) I'm assuming there isn't, because I couldn't find anything on it, but I know some softwares that do.

Will installing another version affect the RMAs I have installed on remote servers? Will the current hostmonitor.ini work with the new version of HM, if I save it and use it?

Also, what is the estimated release month of the non-beta version?

Thank you for your assistance,
Zach
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm wondering if there is any sort of version download restriction, like is there a limit on the amount of times you can download new versions (I own the Enterprise Edition of HM.) I'm assuming there isn't, because I couldn't find anything on it, but I know some softwares that do.

It does not matter how many times you download software, once or 1000 times.
If you have Enterprise license, you may install any update at no cost within 12 months after purchase.
All limits described here:
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/regmon.htm#newprice

Quote:
Will installing another version affect the RMAs I have installed on remote servers?

If you install new version of the software, you should update ALL components. Sometimes new HostMonitor will works with old RCC or RMA, sometimes does not.
RMA Manager allows you to update all remote agents at once.
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/rma-manager/index.htm

Quote:
Will the current hostmonitor.ini work with the new version of HM, if I save it and use it?

Sure, it will work.
But I would not worry about hostmon.ini file. I would worry about test list, actions, profiles, etc.
If you install new version on the same system and the same folder, simply choose Update/Repair installation option (actually it will be selected by default).
If you want to move/copy your settings, please read the following article:
http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1099

Quote:
Also, what is the estimated release month of the non-beta version?

We do not care about date. We care about quality.
We tested new version a lot in our network, works fine. Now its your turn to test HostMonitor in your environment. If we do not receive any bug reports, we can release it in 3-4 weeks.

On the other hand, I think there is one problem - most of our customers do send any reports even when they have downloaded, tested and found bug in Beta version. When they found the same bug in non-Beta version, they report right away. Probably everybody think we know about bugs in our Beta version
From this point of view, there is no sense in Beta version at all... We just should release it right away.

Regards
Alex
SAIC-WL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for all of the answers! They were detailed and quite informative. I do have one question, though.

Quote:
If you install new version of the software, you should update ALL components. Sometimes new HostMonitor will works with old RCC or RMA, sometimes does not.
RMA Manager allows you to update all remote agents at once.

Because I'm monitoring over several different networks, I have to open up specific ports in these networks for in/out and from/to communication. Will the port I'll use for RMAM (5057) ever have to talk TO the RMAs? I would assume so at least for upgrading their .exe's.
I couldn't find in the documentation any clear answer to this.

Thanks,
Zach
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome

Not sure I understand this question
If you are using Active RMA, you need to open 1 port for RMA<->HostMonitor communication and optionally 2nd port for RMA<->RMA Manager communication.
If you are asking why do you need RMA Manager, answer is in the manual

Regards
Alex
SAIC-WL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
You are welcome :)

Not sure I understand this question :roll:
If you are using Active RMA, you need to open 1 port for RMA<->HostMonitor communication and optionally 2nd port for RMA<->RMA Manager communication.
If you are asking why do you need RMA Manager, answer is in the manual

Regards
Alex

Sorry, I forgot to specify "Active" RMA. I was actually under the impression that HostMonitor didn't reach out to the Active RMAs, but that they "talked" to HM. In the same manner, does RMA Manager "talk" to the RMAs, or do the RMAs "talk" to RMA Manager? I know I want RMA Manager, but I need to know more about how it works to determine which ports to open. Like I said, I couldn't find a straight answer in the given documentation.

Thanks again,
Zach
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from the manual.
Quote:
Passive RMA opens specified TCP port for listening and waits for connection requests from HostMonitor and RMA Manager, then RMA performs test (or action) and provides information about test result back to HostMonitor.
Active RMA - Remote Monitoring Agent that is not waiting for TCP connection from HostMonitor like regular RMA (now it`s called as Passive RMA). Active RMA itself establishes connection with HostMonitor and RMA Manager.

In other words (from HostMonitor point of view): HostMonitor sends requests to RMA (any kind of RMA).
HostMonitor initiates TCP connection for Passive RMA.
HostMonitor waits for TCP connection from Active RMA and keep this connection all the time.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: