KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

I want to use the User Profile fields - E-mail, Pager, ICQ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greyhat64

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: I want to use the User Profile fields - E-mail, Pager, ICQ Reply with quote

I've looked (honestly!) but see no connection.
Since these fields are recorded, why couldn't the User Profile name be used in Action Profile properties. In other words, while defining a pager action could I input or select from a list the User ID "Admin", as defined in User Profiles, expecting AHM to associate the "Pager" field from the selected User Profile with the "Pager" field in the Action Profile?
Of course the ability to manually type in an email address, phone #, etc. would need to be reserved, but, from a review standpoint, looking into an Action Profile that essentially states
    Send Email To (recipient) "Admin"
    or
    Send SMS To (user) "Manager"
is a much easier read. Additionally, the configuration/presentation becomes consistent across notification methods and a change in contact info reflects through all the Action Profiles referring to that person/group, reducing the need for global macro variables to accomplish that feat.
Besides, once again, the fields must be there for a reason, I just haven't found it. It appears that might have been the intent. If not, this would be a terrific feature that could be brought to 'life' in the next major release.

And if I've totally missed the reference in the helps regarding the intent of these fields, I apologize, but please point me the way <^v>
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We plan to use these fields in future. We don't use them yet because user-defined variables provide more options, exceed posibilities of these fields. That's why task has low priority.

Regards
Alex
mp1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

A kind of user management would be great.
At the moment we work with user defined macro variables.

Usermanagement with:
- Mailadress
- GSM-Number
- disable/enable user
- disable alerts for user f.e. during his holiday

An the possibility to add users to a group.

Regards,

Martin
greyhat64

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,
What mp1 suggests has merit and loosely ties into an earlier request for Active Directory integration. Were that available all user/group attributes could be derived via a quick LDAP query. You know Dubolomov would agree!

I know this is a tall order, and it makes your job harder, trying to accommodate stand-alone and AD integrated environments, but large enterprise systems striving for a secure single sign-on environment might even be willing to pay a $mall premium for that.
An AHM AD/LDAP integration kit

Which further highlights why I have a hard time seeing the User Profile/Action Profile integration as a low priority request. You already have the data recorded, but it's 'dead', unusable except as a static reference. Which is why, for now, I don't even bother using those fields.
This isn't building a new dataset or an interface to an external dataset - it's providing reference to data you already record. I understand that there may be other high priority 'Functional' requests, but in terms of 'Usability' requests this should be in the top five.

Make no mistake though, thank you for including udv's as an option. But it's a struggle for me. I agree udv's provide more options, but they're totally unneccessary for Action Profiles if you tie in the User Profile fields as intended.

In my view, udv's are most often used as a stop gap for a variable that should be found somewhere in the product, like %udv_admin_email%. Then again udv's may have another purpose which I haven't found yet. Maybe you could give me some instances where udv's are more functional in a User/Action profile scenario - or otherwise for that matter.

Thanks again!
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In my view, udv's are most often used as a stop gap for a variable that should be found somewhere in the product, like %udv_admin_email%. Then again udv's may have another purpose which I haven't found yet. Maybe you could give me some instances where udv's are more functional in a User/Action profile scenario - or otherwise for that matter.

For example UDV variables can be modified automatically by HMScript test or telnet client+script.

Quote:
Which further highlights why I have a hard time seeing the User Profile/Action Profile integration as a low priority request.

We have hundreds of tasks. Just one customer (its you ) asked about 10 or 15 modifications.
If something cannot be done directly while there is pretty simple workaround - this is low priority task.

Quote:
What mp1 suggests has merit and loosely ties into an earlier request for Active Directory integration. Were that available all user/group attributes could be derived via a quick LDAP query
Usermanagement with:
- Mailadress - GSM-Number - disable/enable user - disable alerts for user f.e. during his holiday
An the possibility to add users to a group.

Sorry, we will not implement these options in version 7. May be 8 or more likely 9

Regards
Alex
greyhat64

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My list of Global macro variables have grown by leaps and bounds, hence I bring this back up.
-----(You may have seen this quote in another 'wish list' item. There's an obvious connection )

It would make action profiles so much easier to create, read, and maintain if we could use these aforementioned 'dead end' entries for their intended purpose.

I know there are loads of pending requests, but how high on the list is this for v8? Thanks for listening!
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Task still has low priority

Regards
Alex
mp1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

Is this still in your to do list, will there be a user management in the future?
At the moment, there is again holiday time

I don't know, what's the best way to disable alerts for users, which will go on holiday? We have more and more global macro variables, so I have to look in everyone and check, if there is the phone number of the user included and so on ...

Best regards,

Martin
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its in the list. May be for version 9.xx

Quote:
I don't know, what's the best way to disable alerts for users, which will go on holiday? We have more and more global macro variables, so I have to look in everyone and check, if there is the phone number of the user included and so on

Do you need some "search" function that will check for specific string within all user defined variables (global variables, folder-level variables, test comment fields)?

Regards
Alex
mp1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, its in the list. May be for version 9.xx

Would be great

Quote:

Do you need some "search" function that will check for specific string within all user defined variables (global variables, folder-level variables, test comment fields)?

This would help only a bit, when a colleague will go on holidy and I will delete his phone number, email in all variables, then I still have the problem, that after the holiday, I don't know, in which variables the phone number was present - so I have to manually log this ...

Regards,

Martin
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see

Regards
Alex
mp1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance for getting this feature in the next time? A better user management for alerting?

Regards,

Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: