Running on XP Pro as service stalls network for 2 min

General chat about HostMonitor (all messages posted before March 07, 2003 available here).
BHarvey

Post by BHarvey »

Installed on XP Pro, SP1, as a service. On boot, it appears to block connectivity to the network (ping from command prompt fails) for about 2 minutes. It has nothing to do with the "wait X minutes before starting", and is directly related to running as a service at boot. If I set the service to manual and reboot, ping works immediately. If I start the service, ping works immediately; it is only when rebooting that the system cannot connect to the network for the ~ 2 minutes.

Thanks,

Brad
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Probably you have many tests those use TCP protocol. ICMP (ping) packets has lower priority and when network traffic is high system/routers can drop ping packets. May be Windows or/and other services send some TCP packets at startup and increase traffic...
Anyway if you start service when system loaded and everything works fine, use "wait X minutes before starting" and HostMonitor will not perform any operations until system will be ready

Regards
Alex
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

>it is only when rebooting that the system cannot connect to the network for the ~ 2 minutes
I think you use DHCP for your ip configuration. If so, use a fixed IP (or just don't reboot :smile: )
BHarvey

Post by BHarvey »

I already use a fixed IP. Found out finally (after a system rebuild) that there is an apparent conflict between the NetScreen Remote VPN client and the HM service.

Thanks again.