KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Running on XP Pro as service stalls network for 2 min

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BHarvey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed on XP Pro, SP1, as a service. On boot, it appears to block connectivity to the network (ping from command prompt fails) for about 2 minutes. It has nothing to do with the "wait X minutes before starting", and is directly related to running as a service at boot. If I set the service to manual and reboot, ping works immediately. If I start the service, ping works immediately; it is only when rebooting that the system cannot connect to the network for the ~ 2 minutes.

Thanks,

Brad
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably you have many tests those use TCP protocol. ICMP (ping) packets has lower priority and when network traffic is high system/routers can drop ping packets. May be Windows or/and other services send some TCP packets at startup and increase traffic...
Anyway if you start service when system loaded and everything works fine, use "wait X minutes before starting" and HostMonitor will not perform any operations until system will be ready

Regards
Alex
Marcus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>it is only when rebooting that the system cannot connect to the network for the ~ 2 minutes
I think you use DHCP for your ip configuration. If so, use a fixed IP (or just don't reboot )
BHarvey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already use a fixed IP. Found out finally (after a system rebuild) that there is an apparent conflict between the NetScreen Remote VPN client and the HM service.

Thanks again.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: