KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Import From Text File Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rick25s

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Import From Text File Problem Reply with quote

I am having a problem importing from a text file.

When exported to text file, I selected the "include folders" box. When I import from text file, it crashed at the line defining a folder. If I create that folder in hostmon, the import will crash at the next folder def.

Should this "Import from text file" feature not create the folders during import?

I am exporting/importing with hostmon v8.82 and starting the import clean, with only the "root" folder showing.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When exported to text file, I selected the "include folders" box. When I import from text file, it crashed at the line defining a folder. If I create that folder in hostmon, the import will crash at the next folder def.

HostMonitor crashes?? or just shows you warning message?

Quote:
Should this "Import from text file" feature not create the folders during import?

HostMonitor creates folder during import procedure only if you are using CreateFolder command.
There is example http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/examples/import1.htm

Regards
Alex
rick25s

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="KS-Soft"]
Quote:
HostMonitor crashes?? or just shows you warning message?

No, hostmonitor does not crash, the import crashes.
rick25s

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="KS-Soft"]
Quote:
HostMonitor creates folder during import procedure only if you are using CreateFolder command.

I was assuming that it was possible to export the configuration to a text file, then import into a clean hostmonitor to have an exact configuration as before. Am I wrong?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was assuming that it was possible to export the configuration to a text file, then import into a clean hostmonitor to have an exact configuration as before. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong.
Not sure why do you need this option but if you are thinking about some sort of backup-restore procedure, then this is bad idea. Export/Import file stores information about test settings and links to various profiles, e.g. schedule profile, alert profile, folder. If you do not have such profiles (e.g. you have moved import file or HML file with tests from one system to another without copying of .LST files) then you will have test items that uses default schedule/alert profiles.

Regards
Alex
rick25s

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Quote:

Yes, you are wrong.
Not sure why do you need this option but if you are thinking about some sort of backup-restore procedure, then this is bad idea. Export/Import file stores information about test settings and links to various profiles, e.g. schedule profile, alert profile, folder. If you do not have such profiles (e.g. you have moved import file or HML file with tests from one system to another without copying of .LST files) then you will have test items that uses default schedule/alert profiles.

Regards
Alex

Ok.
What I am trying to accomplish is to change the "Private Log" destination for all of the alerts. I did not design this, I am merely making a required adjustment. I thought that I could export the configuation to a text file, adjust the private log paths, and import the text file back in...apparently not.

Do you have any suggestion on how I can accomplish this?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought that I could export the configuation to a text file, adjust the private log paths, and import the text file back in...apparently not.

Sure, you can do this. Why not?
Just do not remove folders and profiles. Instead you need to insert "ImportMode = Modify" command into import file. This command explained in the same example (see link in my post above: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/examples/import1.htm).

Also, if you need to change Private Log property for set of tests using the same file, you don't need to use Export/Import options - you may select set of tests and click Edit button.

Regards
Alex
rick25s

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="KS-Soft"]
Quote:
Also, if you need to change Private Log property for set of tests using the same file, you don't need to use Export/Import options - you may select set of tests and click Edit button.

Excellent, That took care of it.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: