KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Aggregated test / monitor of monitors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLynch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Aggregated test / monitor of monitors Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm about to embark on setting up a monitor and would like to check I have my thinking right;

I'm setting up HM so that staff can view - via the web service - the status of critical applications. To give a VERY simple top level view I would like to aggregate the results of multiple tests into one monitor. It would be a sort of 'health' monitor.

So lets say there were 3 critical services/processes/servers etc necessary to be all up and running for email to flow. If all monitors = 'ok' then service is good, if 1 of the 3 is 'bad', service is 'warning', etc etc - hopefully you get the idea *.

I was thinking of using an Active Script monitor as this would give fine control.

Somewhere in the back of my mind is the notion that folder have aggregated stats and that maybe I could use these if I could manipulate the values?

Many Thanks
Fergus
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Aggregated test / monitor of monitors Reply with quote

You may use actions with Advanced mode.
This mode allows to start action that depends on status of several tests:
E.g.: if you will use expression for Advance mode action like:
('%::ServiceA::SimpleStatus%'=='DOWN') OR ('%::processesB::SimpleStatus%'=='DOWN') OR ('%::serverC::SimpleStatus%'=='DOWN')
Action (E.g. Send e-mail (SMTP)) will start if one of tests will fail.

Please check the manual or visit our web site for more information about advanced mode actions:
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#actions.htm#advancedaction
FLynch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - thanks for the steer. Will start tackling this today!

Fergus
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are variables that provide folder-level statistics, like %FolderCurrent_BadTests%, %FolderCurrent_UnknownTests%, %FolderRecursive_BadTests%
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#actions.htm#foldermacro

You may use these variables for advanced mode action; also you may use such variables for auxiliary test items using "This test depends on expression" or "Use warning status" options.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: