KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

perfmon test fail after hostmonitor startup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mellertm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: perfmon test fail after hostmonitor startup Reply with quote

After shutting down hostmonitor, and starting it up again, all perfmon test fail with the error:

"Error: The wait operation timed out"

After refreshing all the tests everything is fine once again.

I am using hostmonitor 8.82, and have perfmon test configured to use OneByOne methods. We have about 145 perfmon test active.

This is really annoying because it screws with my statistics. The problem only occurs at startup, once a test has had a result, its working fine. Hostmonitor is running under my user account on windows 7, and has the appropriate rights within the domain.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows implementation of Performance Counters had various bugs in Windows 2000, XP, 2003 so we implemented WMI test and recommend using it instead of Performance Counter.

However I don't think we ever seen such problem - 1 error after HostMonitor restart then everything works fine. We just retested HostMonitor on Windows 7 and we cannot reproduce this problem.
Do you have installed Service Pack 1?
Usually Performance Counter related problems look other way around - Performance Counter tests work fine after system startup for an hour or a week, then some error in PDH.DLL cause fail and you have to restart HostMonitor.

May be you restart entire system, not just HostMonitor? Then if HostMonitor started as service, it may start before other system services. Yes, we setup some important dependencies however... In such case you may use "Startup delay" option located on Service page in HostMonitor Options dialog.

Are you running HostMonitor as service? Could you try External mode for Performance Counter tests?
Could you replace these tests with WMI tests?

Regards
Alex
Mellertm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the fast reply!

I have read up on the perfmon bugs, and also concluded i would be wise to replace them with WMI tests.

They also seem to perform a lot better.

For your information though, hostmonitor is not running as a service. Its running on my desktop as a normal application. Service pack 1 is currently not installed. The errors only happen after a system reboot. After that the software will run flawless for months. I have tried different perfmon settings but none seems to work around this problem.

I am currently in the process of determining the correct WMI queries to replace the tests.

Melle.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tested HostMonitor on Windows 7 without SP many times, never seen such problem.
Are you checking remote systems located in the same LAN and domain where HostMonitor system is located?

Regards
Alex
Mellertm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

Hostmonitor tests machines in the same subnet / location as well as machines located at a different subnet / location connected through a IPsec tunnel. All machines are members of the same domain.

both the local and remote tests fail.

Melle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Bug reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: