KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stoltze

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Ping Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just tested the ping function in AHM.

I set the test to do 50 packets, at 512 in size. But only packet where sent, using Sniffer Pro to verify. I tried setting it to 5 packets on the global options, but still only one packet being transmitted..

I'm running AHM version 4.30 on windows XP

Regards,
/Stoltze
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use "Display: Reply time" option AND packet loss threshold set to 100%, HostMonitor pings remote host until it receives responce. So, If HostMonitor receives responce after first packet, it does not send another 49 packets.
If you want to send exactly 50 packets, use "Display: % of lost" or "% of received option", or change value of "Status is bad when N (or more) % of packet lost" parameter.

Regards
Alex
Stoltze

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

Thnx for the answer. It makes some sense..

The fact is, that I would like to measure the average reply time, for a longer period, e.g. 50 packets. The value that I would like to trigger the alarm by, would then be the average reply time.

So for instance, if I know, that the average reply time to a specific host should be around 35ms, the alarm could be triggered if it goes up to an average of 50ms during 50 packets..

Is this possible?

Regards,
Stoltze
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So for instance, if I know, that the average reply time to a specific host should be around 35ms, the alarm could be triggered if it goes up to an average of 50ms during 50 packets..
Is this possible?

Sorry, no. But you may setup test to fail if 50% (for example) of packets have response time > 35 ms. Just set Timeout=35 ms and set "Status is bad when N (or more) % of packet lost"=50%

Regards
Alex
Stoltze

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

I've been doing some more testing. As soon as I change the alarm from 100%, AHM sends all the packets that I set up.

Settings:
Host = 10.10.1.1
Timeout = 30
Retries = 50
MaxLostRatio= 50
DisplayMode = time
PacketSize = 512

With these settings, AHM will send 50 packets. The average timeout is bigger than 30ms. AHM will report this test as bad. BUT, there IS a connection to the host. And it doesn't show the reply value.

It would be nice, if it could work like the CPU Utilization. You get the result back and shows it. If it's bigger than your alarm value, you get bad. But you can still see, what the result was. So you can still get the graph.. That's not possible with the ping command..

Regards,
Niels
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ping test cannot work like CPU Usage test. Because CPU Usage test just retrieves current value. Ping test sends packets one by one. If some packet did not come back within specified timeout, HostMonitor will not wait forever, it sends another packet.

So, if you want to see packets that come back within 100 ms, use 100 ms timeout. If you want to start alert when response time > 50 ms, use "advanced mode" action. Compare %Reply% value and start action when you need (e.g. %Reply%>'50 ms').

Regards
Alex
bruceash

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we put multiple ip address in PING TEST ?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can specify a range of IP addresses (e.g. 123.123.123.1 - 123.123.123.254) when you setup Ping test. In this case, HostMonitor will create a separate test for each of the addresses within that range.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: