KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Monitoring Server NICs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
remilner82

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Monitoring Server NICs Reply with quote

Hello,

We have about 30-40 Dell PE Servers all with dual port Broadcom NIC's. Is it possible to monitor both ports so that if one interface on the server goes down, we can be alerted to the issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each card has 2 IP interfaces and 2 different IP addresses? Then you may use simple Ping tests to check each interface.

Regards
Alex
remilner82

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Each card has 2 IP interfaces and 2 different IP addresses? Then you may use simple Ping tests to check each interface.

Regards
Alex

Hi Alex,

The cards are teamed so they share the same IP address. I need to know if one card fails or the links drop for any reason.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then HostMonitor does not have any way to check this.. unless driver and some special software from manufacturer offers such option.

E.g. if there is some SNMP agent comes with this network card, it probably provides such information. Then you may use SNMP Get test method to check card status.
As I see Broadcom 5709S offers such option
http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/pb/5709S-PB02-R.pdf

Please check software that comes with your network card. Probably there is SNMP agent (and may be its already installed and running). Also I think it should come with MIB file that can be compiled by our MIB Browser.
Actually you can setup test without using MIB file and MIB Browser, its just more convenient way to work with agent.

Regards
Alex
remilner82

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Alex. I needed to install the SNMP sub agent which is available as a download from the Broadcom site. I have managed to get the necessary information from the following OID (which is named as btpMemberState):

1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.1.2.1.2.2.1.6.1.1 (NIC 1)
1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.1.2.1.2.2.1.6.1.2 (NIC 2)

At the moment, they are returning values but there is no documentation anywhere of what the values mean (e.g. does 1=OK, 2=Error etc). I have raised a new support ticket with Broadcom, so I will post back when they have given any information on this.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any MIB files that come with SNMP Agent software?
I think you need baspCfg.mib file. there should be description of possible statuses

Regards
Alex
remilner82

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

You are right, there is a value description within the MIB file. However, I am now using the adptinfo.mib file, as there is an entry called "ifLinkStatus" which has the information that I require. It returns a value of either 1 (Link-up) or 2 (Link-fail).

I have therefore created two tests, and tweaked the reply value to say Link-up or Link-fail depending on the suggestedreply value.

Many thanks for your help on this Alex. Hopefully someone else will find this information useful.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: