KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Migration to 2008 R2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canish

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Migration to 2008 R2 Reply with quote

Hi everyone;

I am using HM for 5 years and our plan is ti migrate it to Windows 2008 Server. I have to keep the test, agent and alarm configurations all same. What should i do as migration steps? Do you know any tips or tricks with 2008?

Thanks for all help
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to move preconfigured HostMonitor to another server:
http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1099

Tricks for 2008?
Quote from the manual
==================
Note #3: In some cases Win32 service is unable to interact with desktop. There are 3 most common reasons:

A) You have disabled "Allow service to interact with desktop" option
B) Service is running on remote system and you are using Terminal Service to login to that system
C) You are using Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008

It's pretty easy to enable "Allow service to interact with desktop" option but how to manage HostMonitor that is running as service on remote system / on Windows Vista?
There are 2 possible solutions:
1) Use Remote Control Console (RCC) that allows you to manage HostMonitor started on local or remote system in service or application mode.
2) You may create simple BAT file that will stop service, start HostMonitor in application mode and (after you change settings and terminate application) start service again.
E.g.
net stop hostmonservice
"c:\program files\hostmon\hostmon.exe"
net start hostmonservice
==================

If you have problems ("Access denied" error) with NT Event Log test, there is advice from Lr
===================
I finally solved this problem of access to the Event Logs and wanted to let you know about it as I think you may get similar questions. You were correct it was a true security access problem. The solution was to add the user account on the 2008R2 Server into the User Group "Event Log Readers". I had previously tried adding the user account to "Administrators" thinking it would give sufficient rights into the Event Logs, but apparently not. I have the same user name and password on the 2008R2 Server being monitored as the user name and password on the Host-Monitor computer and all tests are run using that user's security. By the way, Windows 7 also has an Event Log Readers users group, so the same issue will apply to any Windows 7 hosts being monitored.
===================

Regards
Alex
canish

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: