acknowledge status

All questions related to installations, configurations and maintenance of Advanced Host Monitor (including additional tools such as RMA for Windows, RMA Manager, Web Servie, RCC).
itnow

acknowledge status

Post by itnow »

i am wanting to use the acknowledge status menu entry in hostmonitor.

i find that if hma logs a bad event, and no other bad event hapens in the next 10 minutes for the eventlog test (for example) it goes green again. if i dont watch the console all the time i can miss events hapening.

is there a setting somewhere to make the test stay red till you get around to acknowledging it ?
KS-Soft Europe

Re: acknowledge status

Post by KS-Soft Europe »

itnow wrote:i find that if hma logs a bad event, and no other bad event hapens in the next 10 minutes for the eventlog test (for example) it goes green again.
Correct.
itnow wrote:if i dont watch the console all the time i can miss events hapening.
You may assignd alert profile with for instance, "Send Email" action to be notified about this event. HostMonitor offers you more than 30 alert methods: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/index-actions.htm
itnow wrote:is there a setting somewhere to make the test stay red till you get around to acknowledging it ?
Actually, you may use automatic acknowledgement. To achieve that you just should include "Execute HMS script" action into the certain action profile and use script with "AckTestStatus" command. Quote from the manual:
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mfra ... #actScript
===================================
AckTestStatus - <TestName>[StopAlerts] [<Comment>] - Acknowledges failed test item(s)

Regards,
Max
JuergenF

Re: acknowledge status

Post by JuergenF »

KS-Soft Europe wrote:
itnow wrote:is there a setting somewhere to make the test stay red till you get around to acknowledging it ?
Actually, you may use automatic acknowledgement. To achieve that you just should include "Execute HMS script" action into the certain action profile and use script with "AckTestStatus" command. Quote from the manual:
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mfra ... #actScript
AckTestStatus - <TestName>[StopAlerts] [<Comment>] - Acknowledges failed test item(s)
I think the question was the other way round.
How to let the test in "Bad" status, until someone says "Ok I have seen that" and sets the test to "Acknowledged" manually
From my pov it's the discussion from here
http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/vi ... php?t=4238
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

is there a setting somewhere to make the test stay red till you get around to acknowledging it ?
Sorry, there is no such option.
As workaround you may use "Change test interval" option to "freeze" test execution. E.g. you may change test interval from 10 min to 5 hours when test status changes from "Ok" to "Bad". Do not forget to use appropriate "good" action to restore test interval.

Regards
Alex
jbruder

Post by jbruder »

Guys,

We here have the same issue : when an alert appears and disappears during the night, for example, we may miss many events. We have configured the email alert, but i have to say that this is not really user friendly ...

May i also know if the acknowledged status of an alert can be taken in account for a future release ?

Many thanks in advance,
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

We here have the same issue : when an alert appears and disappears during the night, for example, we may miss many events. We have configured the email alert, but i have to say that this is not really user friendly ...
HostMonitor offers 30 alert methods. If you want to login to the system at 9:00 AM and check all "bad" events detected between 18:00 and 9:00, you may use some other actions that will records such events for you. E.g. you may add "Record HM log" action into alert profiles. You may setup HostMonitor to send such report by e-mail once a day and so on.

Also, some test methods (NT Event Log and Text Log) offer "set Ok status by acknowledgement (manually)".
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

May i also know if the acknowledged status of an alert can be taken in account for a future release
Could you please explain what exactly means "taken in account"?

Regards
Alex
jbruder

Post by jbruder »

I'm used to work with production software in which an event is first raised, then taken in account and acknowledged, then disappears from the listing of the events. This would prevent an event from being missed when appeared and disappeared while nobody was in front of the screen, for example. In the WEB interface, the refresh of the page only show the current raised events (error, warning, etc. ...), but there is no history of the events. In my point of view, an event should have 3 states : appeared, disappeared and acknowledged.

Correct ? Can that be added in a future release ?
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Do you mean HostMonitor should stop checking some test item when this item becames "Bad"? Then HostMonitor should resume monitoring when you acknowledge this "Bad" status?

Itnow asked about this option for NT Event Log test and this option is implemented now.
Do you need such behavior for any test method?

Regards
Alex