KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Autocomplete nuisance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grussell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Autocomplete nuisance Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Just bought the full version!

I'm writing about the auto-complete function. For instance, when populating a string for performance monitor check.

I prefer to use variables in place of server names but after picking the appropriate counter via the popup screen, when I go back to add my %fvar_devicename% variable, the second I hit % it seems to perform a comparison with the string from the start to my cursor, matches it to another entry and overwrites my new entry.

The only way I can get around this is to copy the entire string, edit it in notepad, then paste it back in - a bit of a nuisance.

I can see the benefits of this - but do you think it could first check if any text is past the cursor position?

Thanks.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I do not understand the problem.
Windows auto-complete function may add some text at the end of typed string and it marks this text so it easily can be replaced or removed.
Do you mean it replaces some text in the middle of the string?

Regards
Alex
grussell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It replaces the entire string.

For example - I may have typed this in:-

\\%fvar_deviceip%\SMTP Server(_Total)\Local Retry Queue Length

Then when I create a new performance monitor it. The performance counter wizard adds the IP or computer name into the string (not the variable)

\\10.0.90.5\SMTP Server(_Total)\Local Retry Queue Length

But when I go into the test to change the IP into a variable, the second I enter the first %, the entire string turns into

And I lose my counter. Because I'm using the copy then edit function, if I cancel I have lost my test. So I have to go back into the performance counter wizard, which this time doesn't resolve the IP (it thinks its %fvar_deviceip%) so it takes ages to timeout, then I specify the IP.

It does become a pain when adding more than one or two performance counters (why Microsoft don't have grouped counters, so you can check one value to determine the overall health of a service?).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It replaces the entire string.
For example - I may have typed this in:-
Then when I create a new performance monitor it. The performance counter wizard adds the IP or computer name into the string (not the variable)
\\10.0.90.5\SMTP Server(_Total)\Local Retry Queue Length
But when I go into the test to change the IP into a variable, the second I enter the first %, the entire string turns into

We tested "auto complete" function on several systems and we cannot reproduce the problem.
What Windows do you use? Service Pack? Probably you select text before making changes?

Quote:
And I lose my counter. Because I'm using the copy then edit function, if I cancel I have lost my test.

If you click Cancel while copiyng some test, you will not lose the test. You just don't make a copy.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: