KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Auto-maximize zoom

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ludo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two sort of "Full Screen Graph" zoom questions.

1. When opening a "Full Screen" graph, you set the display limits "per default" to really "full screen", which makes a further zoom selection in 3D pretty difficult near the edges (unless you first drag the graph a bit up or down). Could it be made like 90% in both time & value (e.g. auto-range to +/-110 for values up to 100) ?

Or make the auto-range configurable in one of the option settings ?

2. When zooming in, could you then make it possible to also apply a sort of "Auto-maximise" function ? When you zoom into an area, that the program automatically maximizes to the above mentioned 90% ?

Or is it again an RTFM problem ?

Thanks,

Ludo

P.S. : comments not based on "Maximizing the Audience" - Wim Mertens.

Could it be made possible (or configurable in an option switch) that when you zoom into

[ This Message was edited by: Ludo on 2003-02-21 08:51 ]
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>1. When opening a "Full Screen" graph, you set the display limits "per default" to really "full screen", which makes a further zoom selection in 3D pretty difficult near the edges?

I am not sure I understand this problem. Do you mean there are some problems when you try to select region near left or right border of the chart? I just tried, don't see anything wrong. Probably I tried wrong chart?

>2. When zooming in, could you then make it possible to also apply a sort of "Auto-maximise" function ? When you zoom into an area, that the program automatically maximizes to the above mentioned 90% ?

Its possible to implement but why do you need this option? You can select any region you want to. If you want to see bars on full screen, just select region that as high as tollest bar.

Regards
Alex
Ludo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex - it does work indeerd, but it's about user-friendlyness.

Point 1.

You start selecting your zoom area top/left and drag bottom/right.

The "problem" is with making a selection for data that is "on" or "very close to" the above display limits. Starting the zoom area selection top/left does not work outside of the actual graph area, and when you've got this data so close to the upper display limits, it nearly impossible to properly select without first moving the graph down.

Having the graph in 3D makes it even more difficult.

When shrinking the graph to about 90 % of the display area this selection would be easier. Or on the other hand, make it possible that the top/left corner starts outside the display area.

By the way - where your top/left corner cannot go above the graph, your bottom/right corner on the other hand CAN go below the graph.

Point 2.

Let me explain by example. This is really about having a graph where you have all normal data say up to e.g. 50, where there is one single value of 500000 messing up the graph. Then you have to zoom in on the good data.

When you zoom in at first, you'll still have a display area of e.g. -1000 to 50000, so you have to zoom in a second time. Display area e.g. -100 to 1000. You need a third zoom operation to finally go get to a display area of -10 to 100 which is OK.

With e.g. a right-click auto-maximize sort of function you would have an immediate zoom to a good looking picture.

Hope it's clearer now.

Ludo
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I see your point.
There is update at http://www.ks-soft.net/download/hm367.zip
New popup menu item "Adjust" has been added. I think it can help in both situations. In 1st situation you can select region for specified period of time without thinking about vertical limits of the region (you don't need to start dragging from the top of the chart anymore). Just click "Adjust" after zoom completed and Log Analyzer will recalculate bounds for the vertical axis.
The same will be useful in second situation.

Regards
Alex
hmo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex!

Just a short alert!

Official download states v3.64 and You point into:

There is update at http://www.ks-soft.net/download/hm367.zip

that should be v3.67? When "about" is checked it says v3.65??

Would You please make an area where "official" updates can be found with short description so every reg. user can determine whether or not he/she will download to have that update included??

I would like to have my HM up-to-date, but not every update will be in my interest!

Plz?

Cheers,
Hans Mosegaard
Ludo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Alex, that's it ! Both problems fixed.

Has anyone told you that you provide great service ? Well, I do now !

Hans - I think Alex does not "release" interim versions with small patches/fixes, and he's bloody well right not to do so (because of docs, install procedures etc ...). A released version is supposed to be rock-steady as well, which you can't expect from an interim version.

KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludo is bloody right
Official releases listed on site at http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/downpage.htm
List of changes for each official version you can find at http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/news.htm
Unofficial updates you can find only in this forum. If you don't have problems using release, don't look for update. If you have problem, tell me about it and I will find appropriate update

Regards
Alex
hmo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So LUDO is right? Hmmm... even though, I do think "not official" releases should be grouped into some logic... my brain kills me by to mutch thinking during late nights!

"imho"

Well... just a hint...

Cheers,

Hans Mosegaard
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, on next week will be available official release.

Regards
Alex
Ludo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on the topic again Alex, the "Adjust" doesn't solve all problems actually.

When e.g. you have a graph with values all between 99.5 to 100.0, that adjust would auto-range 0.0 to 100.0 - basically rendering a flat-line.

When you want to zoom into the 99.something range, you whould still have to start making a selection (top-left corner) "above" the graphed area - which doesn't actually work.

You still have to be either extremely accurate with the mouse pointer, or you first have to move the graph a bit down.

So in the end, I still think that the "auto-range" should make the visibility-range some 10 percent bigger than the value-range.

But you can keep the credits I posted before

Ludo

Ludo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans - re. "exposing" the interim releases - I'm sure Alex does keep track (let's hope ) but I do not think it's a good idea to make these versions available to the wide audience. That would probably generate far too much irrelevant questions.

Even worse, "unreleased" versions do not necessarely imply comprehensive testing and/or quality checks. Stable versions would be eventually be overwritten by unstable interim versions a put the users at risk. When all these users would line up for kicking Alex in the a*, he'd be in big danger !

Ludo
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When e.g. you have a graph with values all between 99.5 to 100.0, that adjust would auto-range 0.0 to 100.0 - basically rendering a flat-line.

Yes.

>When you want to zoom into the 99.something range, you whould still have to start making a selection (top-left corner) "above" the graphed area - which doesn't actually work.

But for this putpose we have "Set bounds" menu item. Its not good enough?

>But you can keep the credits I posted before

Thank you

Regards
Alex
Ludo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've been using it for a couple of weeks now, I've never actually "set bounds" for whatever test ... with "set bounds", you have to think about it and configure things ... Is there anyone out there who likes to think ?

I'd rather see the option of having the zoom selection changed so that it either accepts top/left above the display-max, or alternatively, be able to start a zoom selection also bottom/left.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: