RMA Connection error: Invalid password(?)

All questions related to installations, configurations and maintenance of Advanced Host Monitor (including additional tools such as RMA for Windows, RMA Manager, Web Servie, RCC).
bbackx

Post by bbackx »

I'm (still) working on our new hostmonitor installation.
Finally got a new server and the newest version of HostMonitor is installed (8.28, server OS is windows server 2008 R2 64bit).

When I try to connect from 2 test-machines (windows server 2003 32bit and windows 7 64bit), I get a connection error stating that my password is invalid. However, the remote management connection (on port 5057) works like a charm, the HostMonitor connection (on port 5056) doesn't.
According to the system logs of HM, there's an Unknown agent (RMA) trying to connect and it only states the IP of the agent, not the name I gave it. e.g. 10.1.254.34: RMA 10.1.254.34: Unknown agent (RMA)

The windows firewall on the HMserver is disabled and the password is correct (otherwise, the remote management connection also doesn't work).
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

As I understand you are trying to setup Active RMA?
Do you use default installation of all components? I mean HostMonitor and RMA Manager is installed in the same folder on the same system, right?

If you install and start RMA Manager and HostMonitor from 2 different locations, then you need to synchronize agents.lst file manually after each modification (e.g. when you add new RMA record). Otherwise you will experience problem just like this one.

Regards
Alex
bbackx

Post by bbackx »

Correct, this is for an active RMA.
HostMonitor and RMA Manager are installed on the same system in the same folder.
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Sorry, we cannot tell you what is wrong :roll:
Could you please send agents.lst file from HostMonitor folder and rma.ini file from RMA folder to support@ks-soft.net ?

Regards
Alex
bbackx

Post by bbackx »

I mailed support and the solution is to run both HostMonitor service and the RMA manager as the same user, or add the agents from the HostMonitor interface (not the RMA manager).
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Yes, we found agents.lst does not contain any RMA records exept default record. In other words file was not modified since installation.
You have added some records using RMA Manager but HostMonitor does not "see" them, so this problem is related to Windows virtual files.

Vista and Windows 2008 may pretend to write file to specified location. But when you go to look for those files, you won't find them! Windows Vista/2008 may store the files in a "Virtual Store" under the AppData\ in your user folder.
This can lead to a problem when you start RMA Manager and HostMonitor using different user accounts...

Solution? Copy file manually or create the same RMA record using HostMonitor/RCC GUI (just open Test Properties dialog and click small button located beside "Test by HostMonitor").

Regards
Alex
mgodinez

Fix Active RMA

Post by mgodinez »

Hi, I have the same thing, I do what you say and it worked, but i have to do this each time I add an Agent, do you know when are you having a final fix for this?

Thanks.
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Fix for what? Windows virtual files? There is no fix because its how new Windows work. Microsoft thinks UAC and firtual files are cool features.

Well, we can use manifest files and mark all application as "requireAdministrator" but I am not sure its good idea :roll:
I think its not a big problem for you to use the same account for HostMonitor and RMA Manager. Am I wrong?
E.g. if you start both applications under admin account, you should not experience any problems.

BTW: We recommend to use Windows Server 2003.

Regards
Alex
MHJSCH

Post by MHJSCH »

I got the same error and found:

I forgot to add the ip address of the new active agent in the hostmonitor application, options, Active RMA tab under accepted connections from the following IP addresses!

For the wishlist:
The ability to control the Active RMA Server settings also from the RMA Manager interface
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

I forgot to add the ip address of the new active agent in the hostmonitor application, options, Active RMA tab under accepted connections from the following IP addresses!
In such case HostMonitor will show message like "Connection from <IP address> .. Rejected". You may see RMA status using menu View -> Active RMA status.
For the wishlist:
The ability to control the Active RMA Server settings also from the RMA Manager interface
H'm, I am not sure about this. However I have added your suggestion into "to do" list. Low priority.

Regards
Alex
MHJSCH

Post by MHJSCH »

Thanks Alex for pointing this out.

I checked everything from the RMA Manager and from the active RMA setup.

The RMA Server Status view (Active RMA status) is missing from the RMA Manager and the RCI interface so I never noticed it. :oops:
That and the password message on the agent side and the linked manager connection threw me off.

So also as a low priority wish list item the active RMA server status view in the RMA Manager, so all troubleshooting information is available in one place. :)
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

RMA Manager shows similar information but Active RMA must use 2 different sockets to work with 2 different applications: HostMonitor and RMA Manager. That's why RMA Manager cannot tell you what is happening on socket used by HostMonitor. E.g. if there is 1 open port on firewall, RMA Manager may receive connections while HostMonitor does not.

Regards
Alex