KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

DISK UNC TEST SHOW UNKNOWN

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bokusogu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bunch of disk space UNC tests configured. They were working fine until recently when all of them show the ? mark or unknown. I am monitoring all Windows 2000 Advanced Servers disk spaces. I have tried refreshing all the affected tests without success. I am running HOstmon as a service on an XP Pro O/S. Any clues on what might have gone wrong? I have also upgraded to ver 3.64.
Thanks for your assistance in advance.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to enable "Show error description in Reply field" option located on Miscellaneous page in the Options dialog. HostMonitor will display error message returned by Windows, it can help resolve the problem.

Regards
Alex
bokusogu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex:
The error message says "Access Denied". The question is why does it work sometimes and fail at other times?

[ This Message was edited by: bokusogu on 2003-02-13 12:28 ]
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid only Microsoft knows answer. It appears on some systems when HostMonitor perform several UNC tests simultaneously. May be this error causing by server or may be by network client, we don't know exactly. However we implemented several options those can help to avoid this problem:

UNC test mode
This parameter defines behavior of UNC tests. Select 1 of 3 options:
Normal - HostMonitor can start many tests simultaneously.
OnePerServer - HostMonitor will start only 1 test per server at one time, but can start several tests for different servers at the same time.
OneByOne - only 1 attempt at one time (one attempt means - if "UNC test retries" value greater than 1, HostMonitor tries to get information from 1st server; if this try failed, HostMonitor will pause test for this server and will try to check another servers, after 900ms HostMonitor returns to 1st server and performs 2nd attempt).

UNC test retries
Define how many times HostMonitor will try to get information from server (in one test)

Options located on Miscellaneous page in the Options dialog. Hope it will help in your case as well.

Regards
Alex
dimmyr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I went through this hell just recently, and I would not mind sharing my current settings with you as they work for me.

Let's see:

- HostMon running as service, but logging in as a domain user who is only a member of the Users group.

- created hidden shares on each volume of the target servers, (called them hostmonc$, hostmond$ etc). I know this step is unnecessary, as you can check on any share, and it will report the free space of the volume, but I did it for the sake of easier scripting - I have ~ 40 servers with many drives on them

- Options > Misc > Settings for UNC tests is set for "OnebyOne", and retries to "5".

- added the following line to the hostmon.ini (make sure you use the latest version - 3.65) in the [Misc] section:
UNCDelay=1500

If your servers are located in different domains, you must specify per each test a domain account that is allowed to browse the above-mentioned shares.

You can email me if you have anymore questions.

[ This Message was edited by: dimmyr on 2003-03-25 11:58 ]
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimmyr is right. I forgot to say about latest update that is available at http://www.ks-soft.net/download/hm365.zip

Regards
Alex
Marcus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-02-13 12:27, bokusogu wrote:
The error message says "Access Denied". The question is why does it work sometimes and fail at other times?

You most likely use a domain account on a non domain controller. When testing member servers use a local account. It wil make you independed on the DC's.
dimmyr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont really care about being independent from DCs, Marcus. There are enough in here to not be concerned. Besides, it's easier to create one domain account than 45+ member server local accounts. Keeping the passwords synced would be hell (well, maybe you could script it, but why bother anyways...)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: