KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Separate Download for Windows RMA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
meppyman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Separate Download for Windows RMA Reply with quote

I am wondering why there is not a separate download for the Windows RMA? I don't really want to have to download the full Host Monitor installer just to install the RMA on all my client's servers, would love it if I could download the RMA separately.

Is there a reason it is not available?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the reason to download just RMA? RMA cannot work without HostMonitor and there is no sense to use new RMA with old HostMonitor or vice versa.
Once you have downloaded and installed entire package, you may setup RMA and then just copy preconfigured agent to remote systems. If you already have RMA running on remote systems then you may use RMA Manager to update all agents at once.

Regards
Alex
Stoltze

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would much more like a new choice when installing.. Besides Lite, Prof, etc, RCC only would be very helpfull..

Usually for me, it's either the hole package, RCC or a new RMA that I install..

btw, how do I create and copy the preconfigured RMA that you mention..?
Stoltze

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off course, inline download and update of RCC client using existing old client would be the best...
meppyman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoltze wrote:
I would much more like a new choice when installing.. Besides Lite, Prof, etc, RCC only would be very helpfull..

You can already do a custom install and select jsut the options you want, is that what you mean?

I too would like to know how I package and upload the RMAs to remote client servers over the Internet? At the moment I Download the entire HM package and then install the RMA only and configure and go. Would be nice to download just the RMA, and if I Can preconfigure and package it and send it to the servers (That are not already configured with an RMA) that would be great!
Stoltze

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meppyman wrote:
Stoltze wrote:
You can already do a custom install and select jsut the options you want, is that what you mean?
Yes, I know that, but as I mentioned, the typical install for me at least, is:
- Everything
- RCC only
- New RMA install
After first RMA install, I allways use RMA Manager to upgrade clients..

So for me, I never use the current predefined selection.. Therefore, a new choice like the above, would suite me better..
meppyman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I understand now, and yes 100% agree as the same thought occurred to me also, having a few default options for common scenarios would be handy, or at the very least making the window bigger so you don't have to scroll up and down clicking on the custom selections
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how do I create and copy the preconfigured RMA that you mention..?

Quote from the manual
======================
If you need to install RMA on an array of systems, then the easiest way is to:
1) Install it on one system using installation program (see the instructions in previous paragraph)
2) Configure an agent (setup timeout, password, list of enabled tests, enable or disable remote management, etc)
3) Then simply copy preconfigured agent to all systems. You need to copy just 3 files: rma_cfg.exe, rma.ini, rma.exe (if you need Passive RMA) or rma_active.exe (if you need Active RMA)
Note: you should assign unique name for each Active RMA. If you assign the same name for several agents, HostMonitor will accept connection from 1st started agent and reject connections from other agents with the same name
======================
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/rma-win/index.htm#Settings

RmaInstaller utility allows you to install Remote Monitoring Agent (RMA) service on remote systems (files should be copied to that system in some other way, utility just installs Win32 service). Also you may use this utility to uninstall, start or stop RMA service.
In order to perform operations you must be logged in as administrator.

So, I don't think we need to create downloadable package for the agent. You may create your own package using settings that you need.

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same is about RCC: it does not need any installation. You may copy RCC into some shared folder and start it anywhere within your network..

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
or at the very least making the window bigger so you don't have to scroll up and down clicking on the custom selections

May be we can do this.. and may be add some popup menu items like "select all", "clear all", etc

Regards
Alex
Stoltze

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
The same is about RCC: it does not need any installation. You may copy RCC into some shared folder and start it anywhere within your network..
Niiice.... Will look into this..

Is it just rcc.exe thats necessary to copy to the client pc..?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from the manual
====================
RCC Installation

Remote Control Console does not require any installation. When you install HostMonitor using "Enterprise" or "Custom" installation mode, rcc.exe module will be located in HostMonitor's directory. You may simply copy this file to any system where you want to start RCC. Or you may upload rcc.exe to your web site and start Remote Console on any system connected to the Internet/Intranet.

Optionally you may copy the hostmon.chm file together with rcc.exe, it will serve as a local help system and RCC will not need to request on-line help. This will increase performance and make the work with RCC more convenient.
====================

Regards
Alex
Stoltze

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Quote from the manual
You're right... RTFM...
meppyman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I go through when I want to upgrade Active RMAs on remote servers.

1. Notice that one server is running a newer version than the others.
2. Check the version of the extracted Windows RMA I have on my monitoring server - but there is no obvious way to check the version, and the RMA.INI file always says 3.90 it seems.
3. Run the Installation to try and extract the latest Windows RMA then get reminded the hard way that you can't do it this way
4. Open the archive with 7-ZIP and extract the RMA-Win folder (still no way to check the version)
5. Use RMA MAnager to upgrade the remote servers (this is the easy and logical part).

OK sure I need to write down the procedure so that I don't fall into this trap next time, but I have these suggestions:

a. If no separate Windows RMA package is going to be available then have an option in the installer to extract it easily.

b. Add version info to the executable so that it can be checked

Thanks, these are pretty minor annoyances as HM really does just make my life way better/easier despite its quirks.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Check the version of the extracted Windows RMA I have on my monitoring server - but there is no obvious way to check the version, and the RMA.INI file always says 3.90 it seems.

There are several easy ways:
1) I assume you already have HostMonitor running. So press F1 button to open "Help" window and click "RMA" link. You will see RMA version on top of the page. Also you may open "Help" window using HostMonitor program group.
2) you may start rma_cfg utility, it will show RMA version.
3) RMA shows its version as well

Quote:
3. Run the Installation to try and extract the latest Windows RMA then get reminded the hard way that you can't do it this way.
4. Open the archive with 7-ZIP and extract the RMA-Win folder (still no way to check the version)

If you have Enterprise license, you should use Enterprise installation mode. If you have used Enterprise installation more then latest version of all components (including RMA) already located on your hard drive. Then you just need to start RMA Manager and update agents on remote systems. Or check RMA version first or "what's new" section to see if we modified RMA.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: