KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Spurious notifications during the evenings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterjwest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Spurious notifications during the evenings. Reply with quote

We've been using Advanced Host Monitor for some time now and it's fair to say the number of checks we're doing is quite high - we've been impressed by the systems flexibility and we've got it doing everything from basic ping tests to more complex scripted checks.

However, we've got a few strange issues i'm hoping someone can shed some light on.

We're seeing that during the night we often get notifications that some of the process checks are within tolerance. This is odd because we don't receive any failure messages prior to this.

We have a number of these checks running and because we send SMS Messages out when an alert is raised it means we get a dozen or more false alarms each night. As much as I love getting text messages i'm not really that interested in being told that the process count on xyz server is at the required value.

Does anyone have any clues what is triggering this?

Many thanks

Pete

P.S. Keep up the good work on what is an excellent product. This is about the only issue I have with the program.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We're seeing that during the night we often get notifications that some of the process checks are within tolerance. This is odd because we don't receive any failure messages prior to this.

So, you have 2 questions?
Why HostMonitor sends "good" alert but does not send "bad" one?
Why HostMonitor sends alerts at all?

1) Why HostMonitor sends "good" alert but does not send "bad" one?
Lets check alert profile settings and the logs.
I assume you setup "bad" action to send alert when test fails several times in a row. Then you setup "good" action to send alert when test restores good status ("Start when 1 consecutive good result occurs").
Am I right? Then I would recommend to mark "Action depends on bad one" option for that "good" alert.
Quote from the manual
==================
Action depends on "bad" one
This optional parameter is available for "Good" actions only. You can set "Good" action dependable on a "Bad" action. Why do you need it? For example you defined "Bad" action to send an e-mail notification to the network administrator when test fails 3 times consecutively (start when 3 consecutive "Bad" results occur), also you defined «Good» action to send a notification when the test status changes to "Good". What will happen if test fails 1 or 2 times and after this it restores "Good" status? HostMonitor will not send a notification about failure (because test did not fail 3 times) but the program will send notification about restoring "Good" status. To avoid unnecessary "Good" action execution you can mark "Action depends on "bad" one" option and select "Bad" action. In this case HostMonitor will start "Good" action only if corresponding "Bad" action was executed.
==================

If I am wrong and you setup HostMonitor to start both actions after 1st "bad"/"good" test result, then please check the log (system log file specified on System Log page in the Options dialog). Probably HostMonitor tried to executet "bad" action as well but it could not be executed.

2) Why HostMonitor sends these salerts? Probably because test status changed. Please check the logs to see when and why test status was changed.

Quote:
P.S. Keep up the good work on what is an excellent product. This is about the only issue I have with the program.

Thank you

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: