KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

"Windows Update Agent"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doodleman99

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: "Windows Update Agent" Reply with quote

hi. i have an event log test that checks the event log for "Windows Update Agent" entries... but the 'nogood' reply stays true even after the installation of the new update has been applied.

innitially. i setup the test to find the servers that were requiring a reboot after install... but now it seems to pull up whenever a critical update is available....
again, this is not a problem, it is just a hassle now that i have 40 servers all 'red' because of today's update. (i have tried to acknowledge the status but that didnt clear it.

was wondering how other people manage this test?
i assume i am not the only one who uses hostmon for WinUpdate notifications?

Many thanks,
Luv you guys

d00d7#
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as I understand, you do use "NT Event Log" test method to check "Windows Update Agent" entries, right?
So, what exact the problem?
"NT Event Log" test method can behave in thre different ways:
1. set "Ok" status when no new "Bad" events detected
2. set "Ok" status when new "Good" event detected
3. set "Ok" status by acknowledgement (manually)

It means you have several approaches to check updates. For instance, you may setup "NT Event Log" test to check Event ID 17 (Installation Ready) and choose "set "Ok" status when new "Good" event detected" with event ID 19 (Installation Successful:) as good one. This test will become "Bad" when event ID 17 occurs and will become "Good" when after that Event ID 19 appears.

Also you may setup additional test to check Event ID 21 (Restart Required:) and choose "set "Ok" status when no new "Bad" events detected". This test will become "Bad" when Event ID 21 is detected and becomes "Good" when after next probe no event 21 are found. For this test you also may choose "set "Ok" status by acknowledgement (manually)" option. With this option selected, status remains "Bad" until you acknowledge status manually.

For both foregoing tests I would suggest you to select "Report about last "Bad"/"Good" event" option.

Regads,
Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: