KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Error: User credentials cannot be used for local connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ixtab

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Error: User credentials cannot be used for local connection Reply with quote

Hi,

I switched some of our monitored servers to RMA instead of HostMonitor based checks. Most checks run correctly using the newly installed RMAs.

But all my WMI tests fail with this error: "User credentials cannot be used for local connection"
Any idea why we're getting this error for RMA based WMI monitors?

Thanks!
Ix.
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as WMI tests are performed by RMA, you do not have to provide account for this particular server because tests are performed locally (locally by RMA). To get rid of this error you just should uncheck "WMI" from "Use this account as default for the following test methods" area in "Connection Manager" for appropriate server record. If all tests for this server are performed by RMA, you may remove server record at all.
Please, read the following article for details: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#profiles.htm#conmgr

Regards,
Max
ixtab

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max,

I understand, what if we have our connection manager setup with wildcard to cover the hundreds of machines we monitor (see screenshot)?
I really don't won't to get to a point where I have to replace this one "*" entry with 100+ individual connection entries.

Isn't there a way to say exclude when using RMA?

Thanks,
Ix.

KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth to say, I cannot reproduce the error you've faced.
And there is not option to exclude some servers... Hm.
Could you export one of these WMI tests into text file (menu "File" -> "Export to text file") and send it to support@ks-soft.net, please?
- Do you use passive or active RMA?
- What version of RMA do you use?
- Is RMA started as an application or as a service?
- What account do you use to start RMA?
- Could you try to set 'localhost' into "Host" input box in "Test Properties" window for particular WMI test?

Regards,
Max
ixtab

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Email was sent to support with the requested details.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) HostMonitor and RMA knows that login procedure should not be used for local system. Even if you specify account for the system, it will not be used when local ip/hostname is equivalent to target ip/hostname.
2) Actually there is simple way to exclude some items (don't use default account for the server) - just specify record for that server. Any specific record overrides default account.

Why it does not work in your case? I see several posible reasons
1) You are running old version of the software. That's why we always ask what version of the software do you use?
2) There are several network cards installed on target system, each network interface has its own IP address. So request from HostMonitor may come on one interface while RMA will compare it to IP address on different interface

If you want to use RMA to check local system (system where RMA is installed), I would recommend to specify "localhost" hostname or "127.0.0.1" IP address as target for the test. It always works and never leads to problems.

Regards
Alex
ixtab

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Thanks!!! this solved the issue. I changed the host to "localhost" and the RMAed WMI tests come back just fine.

KS-Soft wrote:

If you want to use RMA to check local system (system where RMA is installed), I would recommend to specify "localhost" hostname or "127.0.0.1" IP address as target for the test. It always works and never leads to problems.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it did not work because RMA is started on system with hostname "specificname3.subdomson.domain.com" system (according to result returned by Windows) while target hostname for the test was specified as "SPECIFICNAME3".
Agent cannot say "specificname3.subdomson.domain.com" == "SPECIFICNAME3" so it used specified login.
You could change target name to specificname3.subdomson.domain.com and test should work as well but "localhost" always works

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: