KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

"unable to start script" when running Hostmon as S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kongsjs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: "unable to start script" when running Hostmon as S Reply with quote

Hi

When I try to run Hostmonitor as a service i get this warning message on all "PerfCounter (Available MBytes)" tests:
PerfCounter (Available MBytes) Warning Error: unable to start script Perf Counter test (Available MBytes)

This does not happend when I run it as an application.

Any ide what this can be ?

Regards
Kongsjs
kongsjs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to this info:
We use Hostmonitor 7.52 running on Windows Server 2003 SP2.
We do not run as "Local system Account", but have greated a special serviceuser for Hostmonitor.
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Performance Counter" test method requires admin rights, so we recommend to start HostMonitor under admins account. You may specify certain account for HostMonitor service into "Options" -> "Service" tab.

Also, please make sure:
1) RPC service is started on target machine
2) Remote Registry Service is started on target machine
3) PerfOS.DLL is enabled on target machine
4) PerfProc.DLL is enabled on target machine
5) There is no firewall between systems
6) Check if "admin" account has KEY_READ access to the following registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows_NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib.
To view/change permissions to the registry key you can use the registry editor utility (Regedt32.exe).

Microsoft provides "Extensible Counter List" utility: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7ff99683-b7ec-4da6-92ab-793193604ba4&displaylang=en
This utility displays list of DLLs that are used to support Performance Counters, using the utility you may disable/enable specific DLLs.

Regards,
Max
kongsjs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Again

I have checked all the things you specified, and that is in order.
This is not happening all the time, but now and then during the day.

The same thing happends on the "Free Space" test. I get an warning even when ther is a lot of space left. Here is an example (91% free space):

Alert from HostMonitor

Criticality : 3

Date : 22.09.2009 09:42:41

Test Method : check UNC (6%)
Server : NOSFJAPP16 - Free Space - D$
Operational Responsible for this incident: Kongsjs

2.level support : kongsjs

Any sugestions ?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have checked all the things you specified, and that is in order

What exactly test method do you use? Performance Counter, External, Shell Script, Active Script?
If you are using Performance Counter test method, what mode have you selected on Misc page in the Options dialog (Options -> Misc -> Performance Counter terst)? Multithread? External?

Quote:
The same thing happends on the "Free Space" test...check UNC (6%)

What exactly test method do you use? "Disk free space" or "UNC" test method? What exactly test status was set by HostMonitor (HostMonitor does not set Warning status unless you are using some expression to set Warning status)? Do you see any error in Reply field of the test?
If you are using UNC test method, what mode have you selected on Misc page in the Options dialog (Options -> Misc -> Settings for UNC test)?

Regards
Alex
kongsjs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Disk Free Space i use UNC test.
I use this expression to set the warning status: (("%SuggestedSimpleStatus%"=="UP") and ("%Reply%"<="10 %"))
It looks like I always get an "Unknown" status just before the warning comes.
When I copy a "Check UNC" test, then it always go into Warning status when it is created (even if there is space enough on the disk), and the next time it run that test it will be OK, but then a warning already has been sent.
The "Settings for UNC test" is set to "Normal" and 2 "UNC test retries". The "Show Errors in desc....." is not ticked.

The description for Performance Counters I will send later, they have to go into warning before I can see what test that is going wrong.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unknown means HostMonitor cannot retrieve information from target system. You may enable "Show error description in Reply field when cannot access resource" option located on Misc page in the Options dialog; then you will see why exactly HostMonitor cannot retrieve information.

Quote:
It looks like I always get an "Unknown" status just before the warning comes

HostMonitor does not set 2 statuses at the same time. It may set Unknown or Warning but not both. Probably you are using "Repeat test/check host again" action so HostMonitor repeats test when test status is Unknown? or may be you are using too short test interval so HostMonitor repeats test again and again?
Anyway, you may check error description usign Quick Log or regular log file.

Quote:
When I copy a "Check UNC" test, then it always go into Warning status when it is created (even if there is space enough on the disk), and the next time it run that test it will be OK, but then a warning already has been sent

Do you mean HostMonitor sets Warning status while Reply value of the test shows some number above 10%?

Regards
Alex
kongsjs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex

I have now enabled "Show error description in Reply field when cannot access resource", and I will check what the error is next time I get one.
-

I did'nt mean that it set's 2 statuses at one time, it first set "Unknown", and when it test again (10 min later) I get a "Warning", and when it test next time (after 10 min) it will be "OK".
This happens several times a day, and that is the problem.
-

Yes, I do mean HostMonitor sets Warning status while Reply value of the test shows some number above 10%? And this happens everytime I copy a test. This is'nt a problem, becouse I can rightclick on the test and refresh, but it is a little strange.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, I do mean HostMonitor sets Warning status while Reply value of the test shows some number above 10%? And this happens everytime I copy a test. This is'nt a problem, becouse I can rightclick on the test and refresh, but it is a little strange.

We tested version 7.52 and we cannot reproduce this behavior. HostMonitor always sets "Not tested" status for new test items.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: