KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Host Name/IP Address Issue and Freezing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Wardle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Host Name/IP Address Issue and Freezing Reply with quote

Hello,

Im running HM 7.74. I have 2 issues,

1, Every now and then host monitor will report that a Disk Check is bad when it is infact ok. i found out that if i change the name of the server in the test to the IP Address the test will carry on working fine. But a few days down the line the tests will stop working and i will have to revert to the host name again! this is very annoying.

2. When i 1st open HM the hole thing freezes for around about 10 mins at a time, then its ok untill a test reports back as bad and the hole thing freezes again.

i have tried moving it to a diffrent PC but this made no diffrence.

Please Advise.

Matt
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Host Name/IP Address Issue and Freezing Reply with quote

Could you provide more information, please?
Matt Wardle wrote:
1, Every now and then host monitor will report that a Disk Check is bad when it is infact ok. i found out that if i change the name of the server in the test to the IP Address the test will carry on working fine. But a few days down the line the tests will stop working and i will have to revert to the host name again! this is very annoying.
- What exact test method do you use? "Drive Free Space"? "UNC"? Other?
- What exact status does test show, when it fails? "Bad"? "Unknown"?
- Do you see any error message in "Reply" field?

Matt Wardle wrote:
2. When i 1st open HM the hole thing freezes for around about 10 mins at a time, then its ok untill a test reports back as bad and the hole thing freezes again.
Freezes? Hm. Do you use ODBC logging? Does ODBC logging works properly ("Options" -> "Log Settings")?

Matt Wardle wrote:
i have tried moving it to a diffrent PC but this made no diffrence.
- What Windows do you use? Service Pack?
- Is HostMonitor started as a service or as an application?
- Do you have installed antivirus monitor? Personal firewall? Content monitoring software? Non-standard winsock components? Network packet analyzer?
- Do you see any error messages in System Log (file is specified in menu "Options" -> "System Log"). You may access the System Log using menu "View" - > "System Log".

Regards,
Max
Matt Wardle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

sorry for the late responce.

i am using the UNC test method and then set the If resource is unavaliable.

the test shows at unknown and there is no error message under the reply field.

i have fixed the other issues now its just this Host name and Ip address one left.

regards
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Wardle wrote:
i am using the UNC test method and then set the If resource is unavaliable.

the test shows at unknown and there is no error message under the reply field.
No error message? Could you enable "Show errors description in "Reply" field when cannot access resource" option, located in "Options" -> "Miscellaneous" tab -> "Settings for UNC tests" area? What error message do you see now? Also there are several "UNC test mode" options, located on the same tab. Could you, probably, select "OnePerServer" or "One by One" option? It might help. Quote frm the manual: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#options.htm#MiscUNC
======================================
UNC test mode
This parameter defines behavior of UNC tests. Select 1 of 3 options:
# Normal - HostMonitor can start many tests simultaneously.
# OnePerServer - HostMonitor will start only 1 test per server at one time, but can start several tests for different servers at the same time.
# OneByOne - only 1 attempt at one time (one attempt means - if "UNC test retries" value greater than 1, HostMonitor tries to get information from 1st server; if this try failed, HostMonitor will pause test for this server and will try to check another servers, after 900ms HostMonitor returns to 1st server and performs 2nd attempt).

UNC test retries
Define how many times HostMonitor will try to get information from server (in one test)

Show errors description in "Reply" field when cannot access resource
If you check this option, HostMonitor will put error description in "Reply" field in case "UNC" test cannot access to resource.
======================================

Matt Wardle wrote:
i have fixed the other issues now its just this Host name and Ip address one left.
I think, error message in "Reply" field should point us a right direction.

Regards,
Max
Matt Wardle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right.

i have enabled onebyone testing and show the error message as you asked.

the onebyone did not make any diffrence. i do get the below errors tho.

Network path cannot be found (although if i change this to IP it works)
Win32 error #1722

any idea?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Microsoft manual error 1722 means "The RPC server is unavailable." Such error may appear when RPC service not started or firewall blocks TCP ports above 1023...
Quote:
Every now and then host monitor will report that a Disk Check is bad when it is infact ok. i found out that if i change the name of the server in the test to the IP Address the test will carry on working fine. But a few days down the line the tests will stop working and i will have to revert to the host name again! this is very annoying.

Are you sure status is "Bad"? I assume its "Unknown".
Its definately not HostMonitor fault, some system problem
What Windows do you use (on local and remote system)? Service Pack? Are you testing system that located in the same LAN, domain? Do you have installed some antivirus monitors, personal firewall, content monitoring software? Non stanard winsock components?

Regards
Alex
Matt Wardle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:

Are you sure status is "Bad"? I assume its "Unknown".
Its definately not HostMonitor fault, some system problem
What Windows do you use (on local and remote system)? Service Pack? Are you testing system that located in the same LAN, domain? Do you have installed some antivirus monitors, personal firewall, content monitoring software? Non stanard winsock components?

yes sorry it does come back as unknown. we are running win2003 sp1 and some have sp2 for the servers but all our clients are XP sp2. they are all on the same domain but not on the same LAN. We use mcafee. we dont have Personal FWs and we use a internet content controle system for HTTP traffic.

we dont use RMAs at the moment.

cheers
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i found out that if i change the name of the server in the test to the IP Address the test will carry on working fine

Can be some problem with DNS server or NetBIOS interfaces...
If your servers located in different LAN, I assume you are using DNS server?

Quote:
But a few days down the line the tests will stop working and i will have to revert to the host name again!

request by IP address does not work while request by hostname works?
Well, I have only one explanation - target server does not have static IP address, probably it requests IP address from DHCP server? Then you should use hostname for sure.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: