KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

More flexible Drive Free Space test
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greyhat64

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,
I may be mistaken, but you may not need another variable to accomplish this.
Couldn't the existing variables %Reply_Number% or %Reply_Integer% be used in these formulas, assuming the value is passed.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How it can be used if alert thresold is unknown?

Regards
Alex
Kapz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

@Alex:

> if alert threshold is 10Gb and you want to set Warning status between 15 and 10Gb
> ('%SuggestedSimpleStatus%' == 'UP') and ('%SuggestedReply%'*'0.66 < '%AlertThresholdValue%')

> if alert threshold is 15Gb and you want to set Warning status between 15 and 10Gb
> ('%SuggestedSimpleStatus%' == 'DOWN') and ('%SuggestedReply%'*'1.5' > '%AlertThresholdValue%')

No matter which example I try I'm told that '0.66' or '1.5' is not a number.
It seems like HM doesn't like numbers with decimals because if I try numbers like '15', '777' or '1234' it works as expected.

> Within 2 weeks we plan to upload unofficial Advanced Host Monitor 7.90 Beta, probabaly we implement %ALERTTHRESHOLDVALUE% variable in this version
Yiehaa - looking forward to that

By the way, just out of curiosity from my 'common mans' view and without having knowledge of coding stuff like HM how come that 'standard division' using '/' is not supported when '+', '-' and '*' are ?

PS - The manual doesn't specific tell that '*' is supported as an arithmetic operator in the 'Logical expressions' part ( HM 7.78 ).

@greyhat64:

> If you're trying to generalize your tests wouldn't it be much easier to use percentages as opposed to hard limits.
Yes, that is my goal but at the moment I'm just trying to get *something* to work

> Most recommendations regarding good disk maintenance I've read
> suggest 15-20% freespace as a target goal, regardless of size.
> Any less and you run into issues trying to defrag, not to mention that I
> prefer it from a planning and acquisition standpoint.
I'll repost a snippet from an earlier post that can give you some background information on my situation:

"Many of our newer webservers have a data drive with a capacity at about 120 GB. Our average customer will never use that much space for their website and/or SQL Server bases so I setup a drive check that checks if the capacity falls below 100 GB. Not because 100 GB free drive space is critical in any way but because this could indicate that the server is beeing used for other purposes than our agreement with the customer specifies, e.g. file sharing."

As you can see in my case it's not only a matter of physical free space - I also try to see patterns in the way free space decrease on a given server.
In the long term I hope that I can create 'something' that track down patterns but that's another story !

/Kasper
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No matter which example I try I'm told that '0.66' or '1.5' is not a number.

Probably your system uses comma as decimal separator?

Quote:
PS - The manual doesn't specific tell that '*' is supported as an arithmetic operator in the 'Logical expressions' part

You are right, we will add this information

Quote:
By the way, just out of curiosity from my 'common mans' view and without having knowledge of coding stuff like HM how come that 'standard division' using '/' is not supported when '+', '-' and '*' are

I am not sure...

Regards
Alex
greyhat64

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding . . .
Quote:
By the way, just out of curiosity from my 'common mans' view and without having knowledge of coding stuff like HM how come that 'standard division' using '/' is not supported when '+', '-' and '*' are
Is it possible that this has to do with the use of '/' as a folder seperator (Unix format) in certain test parameters/results. If so, the use of contextual logic could allow it to be added to the operators list.
Kapz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

@Alex:

> Probably your system uses comma as decimal separator?
Spot on. Changed Regional settings from Danish where comma is used as decimal seperator to English (United States) where period is used.
Now HM (after a restart of the application) accepts my string in "Use Warning Status if", however the test now returns "Invalid expression: Invalid floating point operation" as reply with status Unknown.
If I change my Regional settings back to Danish, modifies the string from '1.5' to '1,5' HM accepts the input but once again the test returns "Invalid expression: Invalid floating point operation".
The happens on an english Windows Server 2003 with HM 7.78.

>> By the way, just out of curiosity from my 'common mans' view and without having knowledge of coding stuff like HM how come that 'standard division' using '/' is not supported when '+', '-' and '*' are
> I am not sure...
A great, honest answer - I like that

@greyhat64:

> Is it possible that this has to do with the use of '/' as a folder seperator
> (Unix format) in certain test parameters/results. If so, the use of
> contextual logic could allow it to be added to the operators list.
Who knows - perhaps this could be the reason why it wasn't implemented way back then.

/Kasper
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now HM (after a restart of the application) accepts my string in "Use Warning Status if", however the test now returns "Invalid expression: Invalid floating point operation" as reply with status Unknown.

What exactly expression do you use now?

Regards
Alex
Kapz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

> What exactly expression do you use now?
Whoops - I used this one:

('%SuggestedSimpleStatus%' == 'DOWN') and ('%SuggestedReply%'*'1,5 Gb' > '15 Gb')

... but I just realised that I had a legacy " Gb" trailing "1,5".
Once this is removed so that the string now reads

('%SuggestedSimpleStatus%' == 'DOWN') and ('%SuggestedReply%'*'1,5' > '15 Gb')

- it works.

Sorry about that noise

Just tried to modify it to check for up to 33% below threshold (in the absence of %ALERTTHRESHOLDVALUE% '15 Gb' is entered manually) and it works fine as well:

('%SuggestedSimpleStatus%' == 'DOWN') and ('15 Gb'*'0,66' < '%SuggestedReply%')

Thanks for the help so far !

While waiting for HM 7.90 Beta I'll try to make a setup where an e-mail is beeing send to me in case of an "acceptable" drop in free space (read: between 1% and 33% below threshold value that will trigger status Warning) so that I do get informations of the drop on the next day in my inbox - but this time my phone won't wake me up in the middle of the night to tell me about it

/Kasper
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome
There is 7.90: www.ks-soft.net/download/hm790a.exe (don't tell to anyone )
its not well tested so I would not use this version for production monitoring, just for testing

Regards
Alex
Kapz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, my friend

> There is 7.90: www.ks-soft.net/download/hm790a.exe (don't tell to anyone )
Thanks a lot - and don't worry, I'll commit Hara-Kiri as soon as I've tested it

> its not well tested so I would not use this version for production
> monitoring, just for testing
Just downloaded the file and extracted hostmon.exe to my production HM installation directory in the hope that this would be enough. However once launched MH 7.90 Beta tells me that my enterprise license has expired. Could this be due to the fact that I only replaced hostmon.exe ?

If I need to install the entire package - will a simple backup of my existing installation directory be enough to go back to 7.78 that I'm currently running (read: Nothing but flat files in the installation directory is beeing updated by the 7.90 Beta installer) ?

/Kasper
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just downloaded the file and extracted hostmon.exe to my production HM installation directory in the hope that this would be enough.

Not good idea, its not just an update. Its really new version. HostMonitor, RCC, RMA, Active RMA were modified, some files where changed, etc

Quote:
However once launched MH 7.90 Beta tells me that my enterprise license has expired. Could this be due to the fact that I only replaced hostmon.exe ?

No. I assume your "free updates" term has been expired. You may send request to sales@ks-soft.net. If you own license with LifeTime updates option, we will send new codes.

Quote:
If I need to install the entire package - will a simple backup of my existing installation directory be enough to go back to 7.78 that I'm currently running (read: Nothing but flat files in the installation directory is beeing updated by the 7.90 Beta installer)

Yes, HostMonitor never changes any system files. However your HML file with tests can be located in some other folder (you have chosen place and file name) so make sure you backup this file as well

Regards
Alex
Kapz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

> Not good idea, its not just an update. Its really new version.
> HostMonitor, RCC, RMA, Active RMA were modified, some files where
> changed, etc
Okay.

> No. I assume your "free updates" term has been expired. You may
> send request to sales@ks-soft.net. If you own license with LifeTime
> updates option, we will send new codes.
Ah - that explains. As far as I remember we do have LifeTime updates so I didn't figure that the currently installed license could pose a problem.
I've send an e-mail to sales@ks-soft.net already.

> Yes, HostMonitor never changes any system files.
> However your HML file with tests can be located in some other folder
> (you have chosen place and file name) so make sure you backup this
> file as well
Yes, the 7.90 installer did migrate the existing .hml file into a new format and I reverted back to the backup file without any problems when I went back to 7.78.

I'll just wait for your sales guys then.

/Kasper
Kapz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally back - sorry for the delay !

Do you by now have a 7.90 Beta considered more production ready than the one available at feburary 20th ?:

Alex: "its not well tested so I would not use this version for production monitoring, just for testing"

... or should I stick to www.ks-soft.net/download/hm790a.exe release from feburary 20th ?

Thanks !

Kasper
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, version 7.90 is version 7.90. How it can be changed?
When we change software, we change version number or at least add some letter to the number (in case of quick bug fixes).

However HostMonitor was changed. That's how version 7.90 became version 7.95
If you want to test new version, I would say lets try version 7.95 instead
http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=10

Regards
Alex
Kapz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

> Well, version 7.90 is version 7.90. How it can be changed?
> When we change software, we change version number or at least add
> some letter to the number (in case of quick bug fixes).
Yeah, all right - I meant if the was a new *beta* of HM 7.90 and apparently there was (now called 7.95b though).

I'll download HM 7.95 Beta instead and get back.

/Kasper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: