KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Problem with Multitech SMS Modem MTCBA-G-F4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keymile01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Problem with Multitech SMS Modem MTCBA-G-F4 Reply with quote

Hi support,
First of all, thanks for that wonderfull Program.

Windows Version: Windows2003 Server standard sp2
Hostmonitor Version: Hostmonitor (7.0
Modem: Multitech MTCBA-G-F4

Now our Problem:
We bought a MultiTech Wireless GSM Modem for sending sms alerts (MTCBA-G-F4 with serial interface)
We can sucessfully send sms through the windows Hyperterminal:

AT+CPIN=1234
AT+CMGS="1111111"
>this is a test sms
Ctrl-z

Then we thought that it is easy to configure the GSM Modem in Hostmonitor (7.0
We saw that there are many topics about this problem, but none of them could help us.

So we tried to configure the modem in HostMonitor and we did the SMS test.
It doesn't matter what Baud rate i configure (9600, 19200, 115200)
It doesn't matter which modem type i configure (WaveCom, WaveCom Fasttrack, TC35, Nokia 6650)
It doesn't matter if i chose PDU or Text.

We always receive the follow error message:

Sending...
Com port open .. Ok
Com port close .. Ok
Error: Cannot send message to +41796******. GSM modem error. No reply on AT command: AT+CPIN?
if we try with the TC35 template, independend which Baud rate or which SMS Type (PDU or Text) we try.

Sending...
Com port open .. Ok
GSM modem initialization .. Ok
Error: Cannot send message to +41796*******. GSM modem error. ERROR was returned on AT command: AT+CMGS=24>01000B911497162751F800F00CD4F29C0E6A97E7F3F0B90C
Com port close .. Ok
GSM modem deinitialization .. Ok
if we try with all other templates and all other Baud rate and the SMS type set to PDU

Sending...
Com port open .. Ok
Error: Cannot send message to +41796*****. GSM modem error. ERROR was returned on AT command: AT+CMGS="+41796******",145>Test message
Com port close .. Ok
in all other cases

We tried out all tips in the topic http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4119 but nothing helped.

Whats about the Service Center Number? Why is it important? We tried some number in different formats, but nothing helped. In Hyperterminal i don't habe to put a Service Center Number.

Is there a secret trick to get the modem running with Hostmonitor?

Many thanks for your help

Regards
Lukas
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with Multitech SMS Modem MTCBA-G-F4 Reply with quote

keymile01 wrote:
First of all, thanks for that wonderfull Program.
You are welcome!

keymile01 wrote:
Error: Cannot send message to +41796******. GSM modem error. No reply on AT command: AT+CPIN?
In fact, The AT command "AT+CPIN?" is used to query whether the mobile phone or GSM/GPRS modem is waiting for a PIN (personal identification number, i.e. password). From the Multitech modem documentation I can see the following: "In some cases, such as AT+CPIN? or (unsolicited) incoming events, the product does not return the OK string as a response". Hm.
Not good. However, HostMonitor does not send "AT+CPIN?" command when you specify "Nokia6650" modem type. Are you sure you have got this message with Nokia6650 modem type?

keymile01 wrote:
We tried out all tips in the topic http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4119 but nothing helped.
It's a pity. Could you send request to support@ks-soft.net? I will send you the test program, that should help us to figure it out.

keymile01 wrote:
Whats about the Service Center Number? Why is it important? We tried some number in different formats, but nothing helped.
Service Center number is required because some GSM modems/phones does not use Service Center Number from default profile, so it is necessary to specify it using AT+CSCA command. You may take this number at your operators web site. Also this number is stored on the SIM card and you may try to retrieve it using following command in HyperTerminal: AT+CSCA?

keymile01 wrote:
Is there a secret trick to get the modem running with Hostmonitor?
Any tricks. Everything should work fine.

Regards,
Max
keymile01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Error with the Nokia 6650 template Reply with quote

Thank you for the fast reply,

For your Question: Are you sure you have got this message with Nokia6650 modem type?
Thats the exactly error message we got independent of the Baud rate with the Nokia6650 template:

Sending...
Com port open .. Ok
Error: Cannot send message to 0796172158. GSM modem error. ERROR was returned on AT command: AT+CMGS=23>0001000A81706971128500F00CD4F29C0E6A97E7F3F0B90C
Com port close .. Ok

Then i thought, it's a good idea to have a look with the portmon program from microsoft. But i couldn't see something interesting.

If I type in the hyperterminal at+csca?
I got the follow message:
+CSCA: "079622****" ,129
So i think the Service Center Number is right included in the SIM Card.
The same number with the same format i configured in Hostmonitor. But i also tried with +4179622**** instead of 079622****. But it didn't change something about the error.

In the meanwhile i sent the request to support@ks-soft.net for the debug program.

Thanks for your help
Lukas

[/quote]
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Error with the Nokia 6650 template Reply with quote

keymile01 wrote:
AT+CMGS=23>0001000A81706971128500F00CD4F29C0E6A97E7F3F0B90C
This error may appear due incorrect Baud rate. Have you tried to specify "Baud rate" as 19200?

keymile01 wrote:
In the meanwhile i sent the request to support@ks-soft.net for the debug program.
Just have sent the program to your address.

Regards,
Max
keymile01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we tried out all important templates with 9600 and 19200 Baud Rates. I think i will try now with lower and with higher Baud Rates.
I let you know if that change something.
We sent you the logs from the GSM Central. Perhaps you see something.
Please let me know if there is something wrong.

Regards
Lukas
keymile01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only for information, i tried out the things on an other machine (other hardware type) with another windows (winxp instead of win2003).
The result is the same. there are the same errors. So we can exclude a error of the serial port hardware and of the Operation System.
Regards
Lukas
keymile01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Solution Reply with quote

After some unsuccesfully days of reasearch, we found a workarround to get rid of this problem. First we looked for a alternative way to send SMS. Then we found a CommandLine SMS Send tool on this Website: http://www.kaczenski.de/2006/10/31/cmdsms-sms-von-der-kommandozeile-versenden/. We took that tool an configured it with HostMonitor. Instead to take the action "Send SMS" we took the action "Run command line". On the command line we configured the cmdsms tool with some parameters, et voila. We know, it's not the best solution. Perhaps the cmdsms tool has a other mechanism to talk with the modem. Perhaps in a future version of Hostmonitor this mechanism is improved.
@KS-Soft: Could you take the sms mechanism in the wishlist with low priority?
Many thanks.
Regards
Lukas
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we plan to add some more flexibility to GSM module

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: