KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

help please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
k0v3n4nt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: help please Reply with quote

I downloaded the evaluation version of iptools recently. i've recently been getting harrassed through yahoo messenger by a couple individuals. when i use iptools to monitor ips i type them into an ip tracer and all i get are the ips for the yahoo servers themselves. is it possible to trace the ip of the actual person? i would like to report these people to yahoo. i block them and they make new names and so on. thank you

-Dave
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I know, Yahoo Messenger (and other instant messengers like ICQ, MSN, etc) uses the following communication scheme: client1 <-> Yahoo server <-> client2. It means you you do not receive message from the person directly, you receive it from Yahoo server. That's why IP-Tools shows you the IP of the Yahoo server. In order to get an IP you need to connect P2P (peer to peer) with someone. However, if he/she has a program that disallows any P2P connections, then you will never get their IP. Also, there are many ways to hide one's true IP.

Regards,
Max
k0v3n4nt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Max. your post was most informative.
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k0v3n4nt wrote:
Thank you very much Max. your post was most informative.
You are welcome.

Regards,
Max
kayanat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
In my free time, I used to chat with peoples. I used website chats, not instant messangers. But I recognize, some same people are coming to me in different nick names and started to scolding me. I want to check them, whether they are same or not.
Is there any IP utility or tool to check their's IP?

Last edited by kayanat on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. If chat is hosted on your server, you may "Connection Monitor" feature of IP-Tools to monitor IP-addresses, connected to your server. If you use some public chat, hosted somewhere else, I do not think you will be able to get IP-addresses of people you chat with unless chat provides this information. You may check chat settings or browse google in order to find some plugin or add-on, that show the IP-addresses of buddies. Actually, I do not know how it can help you, because people can use proxies and change IP on regular basis.

Regards,
Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> IP-Tools All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: