KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Cannot retrieve Process List --Help--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsswho6

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Cannot retrieve Process List --Help-- Reply with quote

I am having an issue getting process info on 2 of my servers. I currently have around 1000 server and all work great except for 2. The 2 servers are actually running 2000 Pro. I have done everything I can think of with no luck. I have also searched these forums and done the steps below to no avail. Any other Ideas? I made sure step 1 and 2 was running. I also ran the utily and it shows both dll's in the enabled.

1) RPC service is started on targetr systems
2) Remote Registry Service started on target system
3) PerfOS.DLL is enabled on target system
4) PerfProc.DLL is enabled on target system
5) Check if "admin" account has KEY_READ access to the following registry key on target system: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows_NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib.
To view/change permissions to the registry key you can use the registry editor utility (Regedt32.exe).

Microsoft provides "Extensible Counter List" utility: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7ff99683-b7ec-4da6-92ab-793193604ba4&displaylang=en
This utility displays list of DLLs that are used to support Performance Counters, using the utility you may disable/enable specific DLLs.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Status of the test is Unknown?
What about CPU Usage and Service tests? Works?

Regards
Alex
gsswho6

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Status of the test is Unknown?
What about CPU Usage and Service tests? Works?

Regards
Alex

Yes shows status Unknown. Both CPU and Service test work perfectly.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPU Usage and Process tests work similarly - require the same level of rights, use the same RPC and Remote Registry Service. The only difference - information for CPU Usage test is provided by PerfOS.DLL. While Process test requires PerfProc.DLL
So, there must be some problem related to PerfProc.DLL on target system.
Unfortunately I cannot tell you what exactly is wrong. Try to disable and enable this DLL using Microsoft Extensible Counter List utility. May be file is corrupted? Try to copy this DLL from another system. Or simply reboot the system.

Regards
Alex
gsswho6

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
CPU Usage and Process tests work similarly - require the same level of rights, use the same RPC and Remote Registry Service. The only difference - information for CPU Usage test is provided by PerfOS.DLL. While Process test requires PerfProc.DLL
So, there must be some problem related to PerfProc.DLL on target system.
Unfortunately I cannot tell you what exactly is wrong. Try to disable and enable this DLL using Microsoft Extensible Counter List utility. May be file is corrupted? Try to copy this DLL from another system. Or simply reboot the system.

Regards
Alex

Ok I will try that... What do you mean by disable the enable the dll. You mean unregister the register the dll correct?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Use Extensible Counter List utility

Regards
Alex
Dubolomov

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem with one of WinXP computer.
Just file sharing service was disabled.
pep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this problem too.

I can't view a target computer Process List.

It works in every other server i choose, but there's just one that doesn't works.

And it's configured exactly the same way as the rest of the servers, with the very same OS, tools, interfaces, etc.

KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pep wrote:
It works in every other server i choose, but there's just one that doesn't works.

Could you provide more information, please?
- What version of HostMonitor do you use?
- What Windows is installed on this particular server? Service Pack?
- Is HostMonitor started as a service or as an application?
- What account do you use to start HostMonitor? We recommend to use admin account for the HostMonitor.
- What exact error do you see when you are trying to retrieve the process list?
- Do you have installed antivirus monitor? Personal firewall? Content monitoring software? Non-standard winsock components? Network packet analyzer?
- Do you see any error messages in Security Log of the Event Viewer applet regarding HostMonitor's connection attempts?

You may specify certain account for this particular test into "Connect as" box in "Test Properties" window. Also you may specify an account using "Connection Manager". "Connection Manager" provides one convenient place to store account information necessary to perform connections to remote systems: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#profiles.htm#conmgr

Regards,
Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: