KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

more then one alert profile

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: more then one alert profile Reply with quote

I would like to set 2 or more alert profile for each test. this is very important for me and I hope you will implement this features
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you explain the reason you need such feature? Probably, we can suggest you appropriate solution with existing configuration. For instance, using macro variables instead of hardcoded values within the alert profiles may help you a lot. http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mfrme.htm#actions.htm#macro

Regards,
Max
sine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the situation:

I've 200 test.

every test have some common alert action and some personalized.

in 200 tests there is a mail to adress A
in 180 tests there is a mail to adress B
in 150 tests there is a mail to adress C

actually I have to add the send mail action to all alert profile and often i've to add 3 different action at every test profile.

i vould like to create a profile "SendMailToAdressA", a profile "SendMailToAdressB", a profile "SendMailToAdressC" and some other profile...so i can add to every test all the profile wich i need and i've not to create the same action 200 times
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, may use macro variables to figure it out. http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#actions.htm#macro
For instance, for each test you have to specify mail address A and/or mail address B and/or mail address C (as you know, "Send email" action supports more than one destination addresses separating with a semicolon, like: test1@some_server.com;test2@another_server.com;test3@third_server.com) into "Comment" field in "Test Properties" window. Also you have to create just ONE action profile with single "Send Email" action. For that action, you have to specify %CommentLine1% variable into "To" input box of Action Properties window. So, now you may assign this action profile to any test, and HostMonitor will send e-mails to the recipient(s), which is(are) specified within "Comment" field of the test. If all alerts in certain folder should be sent with one certain subject, you may specify the text for subject into Folder Comment input box and use %FCommentLine% variable in "Action Propertis" window.

Does it suit your needs?

Regards,
Max
sine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but the email is only a sample. there are a grate number of test (i think that we have more then 2000 different test) which use some common alert action and some personalized.....the alert situation is very "custom" and complicate and i think that the only solution for my problem is to set more then only one alert profile...

imho may be usefully also to create a library with all the alert action and when i've to create an alert profile i can select the alert action from the library

i hope you will help me
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a library - you may choose alerts from the list and add into profile.
Sure, sometimes you need custom profiles for some tests however usually you don't need too much profiles.
I still not sure we need 2 profiles for 1 test.

Regards
Alex
sine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
There is a library - you may choose alerts from the list and add into profile.
Sure, sometimes you need custom profiles for some tests however usually you don't need too much profiles.
I still not sure we need 2 profiles for 1 test.

Regards
Alex

the test in the library is "Send e-mail" not "Send e-mail to adress X"...so i will select the action "Send e-mail" and then personalize it with the dest adress.

for the mail action thiis is simple...but for many external test and other test the operation required to persolanize the action is so long.....specially if you have to repeat the same operation a lot of time....please....heeeelp meee
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of actions support macro variables, including "Execute external program" action. So, you may use the same profile for many tests.
What exactly action leads to labour-intensive configuration in your case? May be we can improve that acttion.

BTW 2 action profiles will not reduce amount of work necessary to setup configuration. It may reduce amount of work when you need to change old configuration.
Macro variables serve the same purpose, just better.

Regards
Alex
Guido39

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: I would like the same Reply with quote

I would also like to see the ability to have more than one alert profile assigned to a test. My scenario is a little different.

I often setup alert profiles for each sys admin and there can be sometimes up to 5 different profiles depending on time of day, number of bad statuses, etc. So a sys admin will have alerting setup for multiple systems and I have to add a second sys admin to a single group of tests that currently belong to another sys admin. That sys admin also already has alerts setup.

So at the moment I don't see how I can easily do this without making a copy of the tests (unnecessary overhead) or create more alert profiles that combine both sys admins e-mail addresses and pager numbers (variable based or not). This isn't a lot of work for just a handful of tests but when you start crisscrossing several different sys admin alerts and 100's of tests it becomes a nightmare.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I often setup alert profiles for each sys admin and there can be sometimes up to 5 different profiles depending on time of day, number of bad statuses, etc.

I do not understand this
You have several profiles depending on time of day?? Somebody assigns different profiles to test items all day long??
I think you should have just 1 profile that may start different alerts depending on time of day ("Time restriction" option).

Quote:
So at the moment I don't see how I can easily do this without making a copy of the tests (unnecessary overhead) or create more alert profiles that combine both sys admins e-mail addresses and pager numbers (variable based or not).

Not sure I understand what exactly do you need Do you need to send notifications (e-mail) to different admins depending on some "irregular" schedule that cannot be predicted?
Then I would recommend to use global macro variables
Quote from the manual
Quote:
Specifics of user defined variables vs. simple macro variables: macro variables that were described above represent different properties of the tests and you can not change their values directly. Contrary, there are user defined (global) macro variables that can be used in any of the action profiles. This type of variables may be of great use. For example if you have lots of alerts that send e-mails to different mailing lists (one action sends the mail to administrators, another to managers, 3rd action sends notifications to managers and administrators, etc). When some of the e-mail addresses have been changed you will then need to correct these addresses in all profiles that are using them. To avoid this you may define a global variables. Define several variables such as "udv_admingroup = rick@mycompany.com; brand@mycompany.com", "udv_managmentgroup = bob@mycompany.com; john@mycompany.com; kim@mycompany.com", etc and use them as a destination address for the actions: "%udv_admingroup%". Now if any of the e-mail addresses will change, you will have to track this change only in the definition of the variable. This is far more efficient then checking all action profiles that may use the address being changed.

Regards
Alex
Guido39

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion.

For the multiple alerts, tests needs to monitor 24/7 but for some tests it e-mails 24/7 but only pages 7am-7pm. Then to make it a little more complicated, some tests e-mail 24/7 after 2 bad times and pages 7pm-7am after 3 bad times. So they can get quite complex.

For the sys admin scenario, let me break it down by names.

Sys Admin 1 has alert profiles and they are assigned to Test Group A. I am then told to add Sys Admin 2 to those same tests and send alerts to him. Now let's add Sys Admin 3 into the mix and his Test Group B and I am told to also add Sys Admin 2 to his tests. So all 3 Sys Admins have their own alert profiles, which do use the UDV variables, but to start adding alerts to each other's test can be a mess and time consuming.

That's where I was thinking if you could add multiple alert profiles to a test, it would be as simple as going into a test and adding other Sys Admins to a test as needed.

Hopefully that makes more sense. I know I could use the UDV variables but I would still have to make many more alert profiles to point to them, wouldn't I?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So its more like "test groups" <-> "admin groups" relations?
If I understand you correctly, 2nd alert profile will not help in such case (e.g. you may need to add 3rd or 4th admin to the group).

I would recommend to use Comment field of the test to store necessary information, e.g. list of addresses like "admin1@host.com; admin2@host.com; admin3@host.com" and use %CommenLine1% variable in the profile. You may use different lines for different information, e.g. use comment line#1 for e-mail addresses, use line#2 for phone number, etc.

If this is not enough for you, you may use comment field to refer HM to glabal macro variable and use global macro variable to store e-mail addresses and phones.
HostMonitor is very flexible, I still don't see why you need 2nd alert profile...

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: