KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

SNMP to Display UPS Levels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanno

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: SNMP to Display UPS Levels Reply with quote

I was reading the manual on using SNMP Get, but maybe this isn't the one I should be using. What I would like to do is poll the UPS for current levels ie AMPs, voltage etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exact UPS do you use? Actually, if your UPS supports SNMP, there should be MIB file, that is supplied with that particular UPS. You may load it into the "MIB Browser" ( http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mibbrowser/index.htm )

MIB Browser allows you to view the hierarchy of SNMP MIB variables in the form of a tree and provides you with additional information about each node.

E.g. for APC UPS:
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.1.0 - upsAdvOutputFrequency
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.4.2.1.0 - upsAdvOutputVoltage
etc.

Probably, you will be able to find MIB file for your UPS here:
http://www.mibdepot.com/cgi-bin/mibvendors_short.cgi?id=19440

Regards,
Max
Vanno

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UPS we are using is an APC Smart-UPS RT 7500 XL.

We've decided that we will trap most errors, but there are a couple that we want KS Host to actually get from the UPS.

Right now I am trying to set it up so that it gets the temp from the UPS and sends an alert if it is over 30 C. When I go down the list on the MIB browser and choose mUpsEnvironAmbientTemperature and click Get Value, it comes back with the error suggesting that .0 be added to the end. The OID is 1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.2.1.1.

Why is it that the other OID can get values, while this one can't? If I add the .0, it still comes back with the error "Cannot retrieve data. Unknown variable"

Thanks
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be this counter is not supported by your APC? May we see MIB file that comes with Smart-UPS RT 7500 XL?
BTW: What version of HostMonitor do you use? Windows? Service Pack?

Regards
Alex
Vanno

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that is the issue. I have been using OIDs from a website thinking that the would work since they were found in the MIB Browser.

As for sending you the MIB file, I'm not sure where that is. Setting up the SNMP tests is new to me. Where would I find this file, and how would I apply it?

We are running HostMonitor 6.54 on Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been using OIDs from a website thinking that the would work since they were found in the MIB Browser

File that we supply with our MIB Browser is a sample. It contains information about various devices and software - Windows, Netware, Netscape servers, etc. Different SNMP agents support different set of counters; some specific device cannot support all possible counters.

Quote:
Where would I find this file, and how would I apply it

MIB file should be provided by manufacturer (APC). I checked www.apcc.com but cannot find MIB file for this device.
Do you have any CD that comes with device? If not, please contact manufacturer of the device (http://www.apcc.com/support/index.cfm).

Regards
Alex
Vanno

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the CD now, and I do see that it has PowerNet MIB v 3.6.7 on it. I'll see if I can find out how to apply it.

Let me know if you still would like me to send the *.mib file.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have the CD now, and I do see that it has PowerNet MIB v 3.6.7 on it. I'll see if I can find out how to apply it

Just start MIB Browser and use menu "File" -> "Append MIB file" to compile the file.

Quote:
Let me know if you still would like me to send the *.mib file

Sure, you may send it to support@ks-soft.net
On the other hand you may check it by yourself, its text file so you may use any text editor to work with this file. Do you see information regarding "mUpsEnvironAmbientTemperature" counter in the file?

Regards
Alex
Dubolomov

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may use next OIDs:
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.1.0 - Battery capacity in %
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.4.2.3.0 - Output load in %
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.2.0 - Internal temperature in °C
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.3.2.1.0 - Input voltage
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.4.2.1.0 - Output voltage

All OIDs you can find at www.apcc.com in one MIB file. And you can use MibBrowser for using this file.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: